Descriptions for tables and columns

Using tables would be a little more convenient if it were possible to add a description to the table or column.

@Nurlan_A Hello,

You can add a description in a canvas for example like any other element of a page that would allow you to indicate the information you want.

Sincerely,

Thierry

1 Like

Thierry,

I have a use case that is not quite met by your answer to the above question. I would love to be able to have metadata and a schema (ERD) that helped me find existing resources (tables) in more of a file folder hierarchical manner.

Eg my outer most layer could be Department (CX vs UXR vs data science, etc), then within department i select team. I can operate at the level of granularity that makes sense for the tables metadata classification (some should be organization wide, some department wide, etc). That way, when I want to reference a table that I suspect exists (eg CX Sprint Planning) but don’t know the exact name of, i can do that heuristically in the “schema browser” pop up that comes as the dialogue when I want to add a view somewhere.

I’d be excited to talk more if this is of possible interest but not quite making sense!

Sarah

1 Like

@Sarah_Heyborne
Hello Sarah,

I understand better now what you want to achieve. However, at my little level of expertise and to my knowledge, except for the use of a formula with a filter or even the use of an interactive filter on a specific table or column, I don’t have any other idea in mind but I will look for some on my side to help you the best I can :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Thierry

1 Like

Hi, I’m Paul, a software engineer at Coda. Thanks for sharing this feature request with us — I’m happy to announce that we’ve now implemented column descriptions in Coda!

Within the column options menu, select the “Add description” option to add helpful context or reference notes about a given column. We hope this makes using tables in Coda smoother for you and your teams — let us know what you think!

f93e1fcc67fff0ae79c97108017bc368fa2d0f22dd4b3ffd24f5efa66bba60c4c2e9cfbb3519258a1045c71debe4f29382d0a4757f6c2c5eb9af8a6f1f236b0c9b1c850e7d27ea342e1e4ec0679e6253dc0353ad3010cfb6f49ef00e9deca43ed3369cbc

5 Likes

This is a great feature! Do you have plans to introduce the table descriptions?

3 Likes

Hi, Yes I agree. Table description would be really great. Especially for the scenarios mentionned above.