Design help: daily updates -> consolidated update for a project

Hello,

May I know the best way to achieve following flow ?

every day, team adds their daily update into a $dailyUpdate table. I want to merge each entry in $dailyUpdate table to $project table.

$dailyUpdate table is as follows:
<projectName,date,update>

$dailyUpdate.projectName is cross-linked to $project.name

$project table is as follows:
<name,status,owner>

I want to add each $dailyUpdate row as a comment into corresponding row $project.name

Open to best practices. I am new to coda, didnt find anything on how to add a comment via automation.

Thanks,

Hi Amit,

Welcome to Coda!

It is difficult to give advice with so little information.

If the cuff, I would question why you have three tables, and not one?

Regards
Rambling Pete.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Piet. Not sure what additional information you are looking for.
Please let me know.

Our current system allows each dev to add their daily update into $dailyUpdate table.
dev selects the $project.name into a column (connected to $project table) and provides the update.

We want to transport the updates into each $project . not sure what coda data structure is appropriate for the same.

Hi Amit,

Additional info to understand why there are three separate tables, etc.

I use the “update process” below to capture regular updates, while keeping the history.

This keeps the number of rows to a minimum, while you still have access to the history. And if the devs update in this table, maybe using a view, then there is no need to copy from one table to the next. Just before each update, they need to click the button. That will move the current comment to the archive column, and allow them to capture a fresh comment. (Just thought now, when cleaning out the current comment column, one can get Coda to put todays date… A Coda doc is never complete. :wink: )

I generally prefer to have as few table as possible. (If you’re an IT person - 3rd Normal form no longer applies.)

Below is the doc where the screenshot is from.

1 Like

Hi @Amit_Handa!
I think I’m following what you’re trying to do. Instead of trying to add the updates as “comments”, I would use a subtable. Essentially make a column on your project table that looks up all updates for that project → $dailyUpdate.Filter(project = thisrow)
And then you can surface those updates as a subtable (when you pop out a row), or even as a bulleted list, etc.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Max_McEwan @Piet_Strydom , made my day.
In the end, subtable worked fab for my usecase. Yet to learn how to show them as a bulleted list (or custom format them more).
But for now, it suffices.
TYVM !!! have a great day.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.