Edit form response / see and edit a row in a form (with special public link)

In a lot of use cases, I need partners, clients, event attendees, recruitment candidates, to post a first version of a form, then be able to retrieve their infos, and update a more complete version of their informations.
JotForm has a link to edit a response, the form is prefilled, and posting the form replaces the first version of the answer, it’s great.
It would be a whole new kind of possibility to open an inside coda “backoffice”/company doc to the outside world for collaboration!

I guess you can do this already (if this is what you have in mind)

Cheers, Christiaan

@Christiaan_Huizer — replied here why that approach was flawed:

1 Like

Hi all!

I am facing a similar situation to what @Blaise_d_Estais was a couple of years ago.
In my case I have a registration form for a band competition where the participants can update information after the initial registration has been submitted.
Ideally, I want to keep the whole process within Coda.

I have a single doc with a registration form and a table in Detail display below. The person who submits the form has to log in to Coda in order to access the table which is filtered so that the user can only see their own submission.

I am on the Pro plan and it looks like any logged in user can edit the doc, including the table filtering formula. If I understand it correctly this can be avoided on the Teams plan which seems to offer more user access controls. Is this a correct assumption?

Hey @Kjell_Pettersen,

That is a correct assumption. With page locking (actually called doc locking) you can set the entire doc or individual pages as locked with only certain actions possible for other users (like editing rows - or not editing rows). Filter settings on locked pages can not be accessed by unauthorized users.
It is not meant as a fool proof security setting, but it works for me.
You have to experiment with the settings to find out what works for you and you have to takes some other actions (like set the doc with copy persmission set to off, because a copied doc grants all the rights to the owner of the copied doc). Also keep in mind that hidden pages are always accessible and that you don’t give you users access to canvas columns, because in a canvas column you can add ANY table and locking settings do (unfortunately) not apply to anything in a canvas field.

But regardless of the restrictions, locking was for me the number one reason to switch to the team plan - and it still is.

Greetings,
Joost

1 Like

Thanks, @joost_mineur!

I thought it would make sense to post my inquiry in the continuation of this post but I see how it can get buried so long after the initial conversation ended so I also posted it as a new topic and got the confirmations I needed.
But thank you for replying so in-depth! Your input will definitely be helpful in the process.

Thanks,
Kjell