Filter doesn't pull latest data

I’m pulling data (text summaries) from one table (Summary) into another (Tags) and organizing it by tag (thus, each tag could have several summaries attached to it). I’m using this filter:

[Summary text table].filter(tags.contains(thisRow)).BulletedList()

When I update the summary data in the other table, it doesn’t automatically update the data in the Tags table I’m pulling in using the filter. I have to delete and reapply the filter for the data to update. Anyone know if there’s a way to automatically update the filtered data pulled into the Tags table from the Summary table when changes are made?

hi @Chris_Jennings -

welcome to the community.

if formula are setup correctly, date should automatically update - could you please share a copy of the document for us to take a look? if you are not comfortable sharing document on public forum here, please reach out to support via in product chat.

Thank you.

Sure, the link is here: https://coda.io/d/Synapse-schema_dSTPQ_FC7Fx

@Chris_Jennings seems like you added a formula for the value of new Rows instead of making a column formulaic

I think you can copy the formula from value of new Rows , click Edit Formula and paste it there to make the column formulaic.

1 Like

Oh… I didn’t realize those two functions applied the filter differently. So value for new rows applies the filter to new incoming rows and Edit Formula applies to the entire column?

when you have a formulaic column value for new rows doesn’t matter. the value for a column is calculated whenever the variables participating in underlying formula changes.

Value for new rows is a one time thing to set initial value when row is created.

(now that i mentioned this, i realize that we should make it clear in our UX where value for new rows shouldnt show up when you have a formulaic column - will log a bug)

also, i recognize its bit confusing but none of these formulas are actually filters - we use filter to hide/show rows from tables/views. more information here. Introduction to filtering your tables | Coda Help Center and Using the Filter formula | Coda Help Center

1 Like

So related to this, now that I’ve applied the column formula correctly, is it possible to bring in the other columns associated with tags into the Summary table (such as Source Text for example)?

yes, you can just click + on top right corner and pick the column you want to bring in. https://p-ZmF7dQ.b0.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/DOu89WQ2/Screen+Recording+2020-03-02+at+03.01+PM.gif?v=4d4f74dac5b6c6d83cfb353574177172

I’m actually wanting to do the reverse, to bring in the Source Text column from the Summary table to the Tags table and organize by tag (similar to the way I’m currently organizing the summaries).