Formula to select a particular column

Hello, I’m trying to keep people with a “view only” authorisation from seeing a particular column in a table.

I selected the admin authorisation with this formula and a table that I used from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aft9wHI0zfQ:

User().In([Admin access].[Admin access])

The formula given works to hide all the rows and columns from a table, using the following formula with the filter option. It checks who is in the table and give only them a view of the data.

Adminaccessformula

Now I would like to authorise the “Admin” access to a particular column only, so people with “view only” access will see all other columns, but won’t see the data in the particular column. I tried the following with no success:

Adminaccessformula.Filter([TABLE NAME].[COLUMN])

I’m not sure it is possible at all…

I have to say, not being able to easily hide some information for some users is very frustrating.

Hey there!

There’s no way in coda to hide/show actual columns.

What you CAN do is reference your access formula inside a new column and say:

• if(admin=true, value of column A, value of column B)

So essentially using if/switchIf formulas to show/hide information in new columns

Let me know if you need any more help!

1 Like

Create different views of the the table with different sets of columns, one for admins and another for regular users. In the view for admins, use the filter that hides all rows. Regular users will still be able to see the names of the columns, but will not be able to see any data.

Hide the main table (if you can trust users to not unhide it.) Or sync the page with the view for regular users to a different doc.

1 Like

Thank you Kuovonne, that is the solution that I used in the end. Just simpler. There’s a “master table” which only a few people can see, and another table with a link that ony shows a selection of rows. And “not admin” people can’t change or have access to the other infos.

Cheers

Hi Scott, thank you for your suggestion!
I tried with the formula but I’m really not good with them, I’m sure I made a mistake somewhere or I put if in the wrong place. But, I used another way to do it, creating a master table and only showing a selection of it in another table, so in the end I managed to control what some people can edit or view.
Have a good weekend!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.