Forum-like communication Tool! (not a chat, not a third-party...)

Hello fellow Codars!
This community forum is the exact example of what I’d like to see implemented as part of Coda: a private community forum that allows for a way and a place to communicate between members of a team.

As opposed to Chat-based tools like Slack, a forum allows for an organised conversation, were turns are respected and information doesn’t get lost among spontaneous messages, emoticons, interruptions…

I’m aware that Slack, Hangouts and the likes are very prominent nowadays, but there’s a reason why we end up coming back to a good old forum, like in this case here!

What do you guys think? Is this something anyone else would be interested to push for? Would it be technically doable for the Coda coders?

7 Likes

I’m absolutely desperate for this.
I’ve looked into using the article track with comments to allow for this… (ie. create a new article for a new discussion thread), but it’s confusing and leaves much to be desired.
Did you even find a work around @Juan_Galva ?

2 Likes

I should also note, for context. I like Juan_Galva’s description of what a forum is needed.
It’s for slower conversations where someone posts an article or an idea and people can discuss over time and use the discussion as reference anytime in the future.

real-time chat programs are about transient communication and those conversations get lost.

Forum or discussionboard communication straddles the edge of documentation, and thus, should always be findable and live with the documentation (ie. in Coda).
At the moment, my company uses Basecamp for this, however, it’s so close to the capabilities or apps like Coda, Notion, or Confluence, I’m surprised they don’t support it as well - then Basecamp wouldn’t be necessary.

2 Likes

Hi there, we have some instances where makers have made a community within a doc.

Check out how these examples display a forum-like communication experience all within Coda:

https://coda.io/@tsstrickland1/codex

https://twitter.com/PosterBoi/status/1422970051355885569

2 Likes

Are there any examples of users building docs with community hubs where chat/conversation threads are a key design feature?

2 Likes