Google Calendar - UpdateEvent returns error

Hi there

I’m able to create a Google event fine, but am getting an error (but no details of that error) when I try and use UpdateEvent:

Running a manual test on the automation (in the config/setup of the automation) works fine.

My formula is:

GoogleCalendar::UpdateEvent([User's private Google Calendar account], thisRow.[Step 1 Result].[Google event URL], thisRow.[Step 1 Result].Who, thisRow.[Step 1 Result].When, thisRow.[Step 1 Result].When + Hours(1), description: thisRow.[Step 1 Result].What)

I save the Google Event URL to a cell in a table when I create the event in the first place, and then reference that in the formula.

Any pointers on how I might troubleshoot this further would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I’m getting the same issue as Doug, on my end:

• while my calendar is connected to the doc
  • “creating” Events (through a button) works perfectly (and outputs event link to a column)
  • but trying to “update” events
    ** with a button that’s setup almost exactly like the create button
    ** and using that event link created previously as source

Outputs the following error :
GoogleCalendar::UpdateEvent failed - Couldn’t find this action in Google Calendar

Wondering if this is a known bug, or if there’s a step I’m missing here? Thanks!

I too get the same error with update action. It works fine on create event and returns results to the result column in my table. UpdateEvent fails . has anyone found a solution or is this a bug in the pack?

My latest error says I do not have permission to take this action in google Calendar.
Any help on what Im doing wrong?

1 Like

+1 here as well. Seeing the same issue. I’m not doing anything differently but the UpdateEvent functions doesn’t work anymore.

Hey,

Can you DM me with some more details for this. I’ve noticed issues if you are using the button in a Packs Table if you set it to “Sync Account” instead of “Users Private Account” so want to check the context of where you’re using the action.

I think that might be what I was doing. It works now for me. Took me a bit to figure out that I need two columns for start date/time and two for end date/time.

Start Date Sync pulls data in from google calander on sync.
Start Date Update column is the column used to update the start date in Google Calendar. I set the new default value equal to the Start Date Sync column . Maybe there is an easier way but it works. I then hide the Start Date Sync Columns.

For the Update action or button, can you have the Results URL overwrite the Event URL from the from the Create Event action? It’s just using the same column for the Event URL that gets returned.

I’ve noticed being able to make one update sometimes and then it breaks, but having the Results URL returned each time lets me update however many times I need to.

Hi guys, so what’s the conclusion? I’m suffering from the same issue as the OP. Creating the event works fine, updating it with the same column setup but linking it to the event URL fails.

Thank you

Jan

For the Update button type, add return Results and have that be the same column as the initial results from the Create event button. That should keep everything running.

Thank you! I actually already had that. But what I didn’t have was a correctly set Event field. I pointed it to the Result column from the Create event. But I needed to point it to the ID or URL of the event. So if my column was called “Event”, the Event field needed to be pointer to “Event.URL” instead of just “Event”.

Maybe this could be changed in the future, so pointing it just to the result (which should be the event URL afterall) would be enough?

That’s a good point. There are two instances where the update button can be used, one is within a sync table and the other is in it’s own table without the sync table. On it’s own, there isn’t the same “event” column so you add the URL results column. So two different workflows in a sense and we probably need to work on clarifying that. I’ll talk it up and see if there’s a way we can address that issue.

Thank you for pointing out the point of confusion!

1 Like