Is offline access in the works?

I have lots of great ideas about how Coda could make my life and job easier, but I live in a rural area where having internet access when I’m away from home is the exception, rather than the rule. If I can’t count on accessing my data wherever I am, Coda is pretty much useless for me! Is full offline syncing in the works, or am I not Coda’s target audience?

1 Like

This is something that we’d like to have, and you’re definitely not alone here. There are some hurdles to clear first as things get pretty tricky if you offer collaborative editing and offline…who’s edits win if two people are working on the same sentence and come back online at different times???

As a few other things get checked off the list, this will keep rising. So not something that’s immediate, but something we’re curious about and keeping in mind.

2 Likes

Suggestion: start with offline without collaborative editing.

1 Like

The suggestion to start offline without collaboration is an idea, but then the doc would be disconnected forever, which tends to cause more of a loss of features than gain.

Makes sense. But I still think it would be viable if the person had a setting to disable sharing if the doc is personal and you don’t want other people collaborating.

+1 for offline access, I travel a lot and it would be nice to be able to view or work with Coda on the plane and also in places where Internet is spotty. What’s the timeline for this if any…thanks!

No ETA for this at the moment, but an idea that is discussed. There are a fair number of challenges that go along with this, and “fair number” might be understating it.

Currently though, as long as you don’t refresh your page, you can continue to work in a Coda doc that’s already open and it will sync back up when your internet connection picks back up. I am a little careful in this situation though if it’s data I absolutely cannot lose. If I’m typing up notes, I may copy them to a text editor just to be sure, but I haven’t actually run into any issues.

I can only imagine! If Coda wasn’t built from the ground up with offline access in mind, I suspect it will never be a true first-class feature - it sounds impossible to shoehorn in such a fundamental idea after the fact, if the core architecture wasn’t built with it in mind.

Unfortunately, I can’t think of a use case for me, personally, using Coda, if I can’t reliably access and edit all my data when I’m offline. Don’t get me wrong, I can see how it might be wonderful for someone with different needs - I’m just not your target market, and I’m glad to know that up front. Thanks for communicating!

Keep an eye on Coda as this is discussed a good bit and can be done, it just takes time to make it happen. A lot of the logic is already built and used for instances like when you’re working on a doc and lose internet connection. You’re actually working offline then. Making a fully native app though has a few more items after this that need to be tackled.

2 Likes