Is there a way to reference row comments?

Hi @Paul_Danyliuk did you ever got feedback on your request?
And is there an option to add a comment via a button?

No, that’s still not possible and I don’t think it’s a priority feature. I’m not a Codan though, just speculating.

1 Like

Thanks @Paul_Danyliuk :pray:

Really like this thread. I have a table where each row contains text content to be approved, revised or rejected. Some rows have comments where a side conversation about the text is taking place. I would love to be able to filter the table to only show rows that have comments.

1 Like

+1 from me. Would like to create filtered table view & change column field if comments is not blank or better yet “not resolved”

1 Like

This is also something that I am very interested in! I’ve created a database where new Codans are using the db to access information and sometimes they need to leave comments for me. I tried to put specific instructions to them for how to do it, but it appears that most people don’t like reading instructions. Lol! I need to make it easier for them somehow. A pop up button would be amazing!

Hi @Reiley_Ney,

Being able to more easily reference comments would be a great feature and it’s one we’ve explored a lot. It’s not on the immediate roadmap, but it is an idea we visit regularly and are looking for the right solution.

For now, if the issue is needing a user prompt for adding comments, I find that buttons work wonders. Here is an example of a button that pops up the row modal where people are hopefully able to see the comments area more clearly. I’m not sure if this was the type of button you had in mind, so thought I’d add it just in case.

Hey @BenLee this is a great stop gap measure. What I’m looking to do is be able to create a row/task summary using format() to display pertinent information at a glance, and this would usually include the first or last comment. Thanks!

Hi @BenLee,

Your proposed doc is something I have been using to simulate a comment modal. I usually make a button with a speech balloon emoji that activates the modal view of a purpose-created view of the table where all columns are hidden, leaving only the comment area. it’s works, but it’s clunky and leaves my users a bit confused as the comment area is not prominent in the middle of the modal.

The main issue for me however is the inability to filter my tables based on the existence or not of comments resolved or unresolved. As an example, this is crucial for something like an expenses table with 1000s of rows and 10 users adding comments with questions about the status of their expenses to our finance person. She ideally should have a way to make a “focused view” and address and resolve their questions.

So, for me a simple few additional row attributes, such as thisrow.ResolvedComments() and thisrow.UnResolvedComments() - each just returning the count of comments, will solve 95% of the problem. The full access suggested by @ABp and @Johg_Ananda would get that to 100%.

2 Likes

+1 for a bit more here. For now just an automated “last commented” column like “last modified” would be great. I use Coda as a CRM and this would help me see when I last made contact since I note it there.

The comments are an excellent place for notes (rather than using a field) since they tend to be little text descriptions that are relevant only at a certain point in time.

1 Like

Is there a way to make that button actually scroll down to the comment section? For some reason (which I honestly can’t figure out why) you seem to have the comment section hidden at the bottom of a page. So if I have several hundred words, or pictures, or any actual content on the page, I can’t quickly look at any comments. Making the button open the modal and go straight to the comment section would at least be a workaround.

I think you’re talking about a row being shown in the popup modal display. We don’t have a link to scroll down to the comments in that display automatically, but they are available in the sidebar.

Any updates on this in 2022? Similar to other users above, I’m looking for the ability to add a comment with a button click.

Use case: Tracking agenda action items with deadlines, I’ve developed a button that allows a team member to update the existing deadline date. Ideally, I’d like to automate a comment creation that logs who pressed the button and what the date field was when it was pressed, (i.e. “Sara Jean Kwapien updated the deadline from Sep 9, 2022.”)

I know I can create a change log and build this out in another table, but this would be so much easier and faster and something I could see myself implementing in countless ways.

@Sara_Jean_Kwapien How does what you are requesting differ from the “Activity” log that is in the bottom of detail views of records?
In my screenshot below, the last activity logged was from the press of a button that posts a “Started” timestamp and updates the status of the task to “In Development”, and you can see the prior update, when it was created, was “Entered”.

It looks like activity on this topic tapered down, @Neil_S, but does the “Comment” bubble on the right-hand side of Coda help in this regard? If you click and highlight a row, on the righthand side of the screen is a talk bubble icon that you can click and view comments from the main page.

Does that help?

Here is my take on the comments.

If you want to make a task system (comment means unresolved task) then you could accomplish this with 1 or 2 fields for statussing and/or notes

The other “trick” is to have meetings so you can resolve all these issues in a batch. Batching work in meetings is very time economical. Ask yourself if you really need to waste time context switching like this in the first place

Adding a plus one for this. I am actually looking at this for a cross-doc scenario (mostly for row-based permission access to records).

So:

• Main Doc for HR
  • Separate docs for leaders by who reports up to them
  • Example of a table where rows are employees

Because setting up permissions necessitates separate docs, we are trying to figure out if we can pull comments into a column to then pull them across docs.

I’m working on a little proof of concept in my last couple days. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

4 Likes

…The proof of concept slowly comes to life. I am now able to pull in comment data as a pack sync table into a doc.

Just a little bit longer to polish…

Update: Apply here:

6 Likes

Hey @Paul_Danyliuk this is a great achievement. You continue to impress all of us. Thanks for your contributions.