Launched: collaborate from anywhere with our mobile app redesign

I like the updates! Especially that I can now search like on desktop. (Just make sure you don’t get rid of the bottom tab navigation because the side menu isn’t as handy.)

But what I need and want to see isn’t a redesign, but rather the ability to create homescreen shortcuts for Coda docs. You cannot claim that Coda lets you “build docs that behave like apps” without that feature! What app requires you to launch it from a dashboard and wait a good 5–7 seconds before you can actually interact with it??

6 Likes

Yes. In fact, the entire ecosystem of app linking needs to be supported. I don’t know if it’s still the case, but last time I checked, custom URL schemes do not exist for Coda and this may be why home screen bookmarks are not possible.

2 Likes

I was referring to Android homescreen shortcuts which are very very common. Don’t know if it works the same way.
But the fact the Coda team does not comment on this at all frustrates me.

Hi Anna,

the following works for me on iOS:

• open doc in the Coda app,
  • get a link via the Share menu (with the appropriate access option)
  • open the link in a browser, eg Safari
  • select Add to Home Screen in the export menu.

This creates an app-like icon for my doc. I’ve picked it up from a post here, but can’t find it now.

Hopefully something similar works on Android!

5 Likes

Hi Sebastian! That’s a good workaround—thanks, very helpful! :clap: I didn’t think to try that.

I still wish they’d just add a built-in way to do that (like Notion, Airtable, Evernote and countless other apps do) instead of making us use the browser as a workaround…

2 Likes

You can open Coda.io in a mobile browser, open your doc, save a shortcut to your startscreen if you like, and use your doc landscape or portrait.

2 Likes

Yes, that works on Android and allows for landscape and portrait mode.

1 Like

how can i add a new line in a text field when typing with the phone? (on PC its ALT+ENTER)

1 Like

I second this!

I have used the shortcuts both on Android and iOS and it’s not the best experience, it happens every now and then that Safari/Chrome logs me out and I have to log in again while the app is still logged in.

Having widgets could also be a great solution, they don’t have to be all too elaborate, just an “open this doc” widget would already be absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

Indeed! Not to mention is takes a long time for the browser to load the Coda docs. I use browser shortcuts as per the suggestion here now, but it’s not great.

:wave: PM from Coda here. Thanks for all your feedback on our mobile experience! I’m excited to announce we have launched in doc search on our mobile app. We hope this helps you find information in your docs while on the go :mag:

mobile search min

6 Likes

Hey Coda Team,

Are there any updates on the mobile app for the tablet viewing? We are creating a “mobile app” (sudo) out of a Coda doc but on a phone it looks great (just small to use), but on a tablet, it’s stuck in portrait mode and there are no icons at the bottom, so it’s as intuitive for others to use.

Edit: I just realized that I’m guessing I need to make sure the doc is setup in a certain way for the icons at the bottom to appear, but I’m not sure what to do to make those buttons (of the other pages within the doc) appear at the bottom.

I have a huge Galaxy Ultra tablet and believe me, you were probably feeling my pain when I was trying to hold that thing vertically when first I tried using Coda with it!

The advice I was given here was to just use the web browser when on the tablet.

Ultimately, I just don’t use my tablet w/Coda at this point in time…

1 Like

Hi @Alan_DeYoung Those buttons show up for the pages that you have “bookmarked” by clicking on the 3 dots next to the page name and clicking the “bookmark for me” option.

You might also have to go to the Gear Icon in the doc and under the “Mobile” option in the settings menu, choose to have the icons on the bottom rather than a menu in the top lefthand corner.

Hope that helps