Linking Master Table to "Tiered" Todo List

Ok, this might not be possible, but here’s what I’m trying to do . . .

I have a master table of people and each row looks something like this:

Table: Master People Table
Bill | Status 1 | Demographic Info [multiple columns]
Sally | Status 2 | Demographic Info [multiple columns]
Sam | Status 3 | Demographic Info [multiple columns]

I also have a 3 separate table views of each Status with its own unique rows:

Table: Status 1 (view of Master People Table)
Bill | TodoItem
Bill | TodoItem
Bill | TodoItem

Table: Status 2 (view of Master People Table)
Sally | TodoItem

Table: Status 1 (view of Master People Table)
Sam | TodoItem

I have a filter on each of my table views to only show a particular status (1, 2, or 3). That works well if I only have 1x TodoItem. However, when I start adding todo items, multiple rows start showing up on my original table with the individual, like this:

Table: Master People Table
Sally | Status 2 | Demographic Info [multiple columns]
Sam | Status 3 | Demographic Info [multiple columns]

What I need is this:

1. a master list of people to include both status and demographic information
  2. separate tables for each status type that do 2 things: a) automatically migrate based on changes on a master table and b) allow for multiple rows for todo items.

Essentially, I need a CRM with both “done” and “todo” items . The status type is important for me to be centrally located in order to avoid duplicates and miss items. I have a feeling Coda can do this, but I’m just not technically knowledgeable enough to build a system that does all these things. Unfortunately I can’t share because I need to keep the names private. If need be I could come up with a test doc.

Thanks in advance!

@Benn_Bennett do you mind sharing what you have build so far. I am bit confused on why is Task table called People table.

I can’t share my original due to privacy reasons, but I recreated a simplified version of what I’m trying to do. I think I’m going to have to restructure the document, but the main things I’m looking to do are:

1. have a “status” that can be changed on the “People Master” table that automatically migrates the “person” to one of the table views (open, closed, pending)
  2. the ability to add multiple “todo” items for each person.
  3. maintain a single row in the “People Master” for each person.

Right now, as I add a todo for each person I get a new row on the “people master” table. I’m trying to figure out how to avoid that. I’m sure it’s the way the document is structured but don’t know how to do it otherwise.

Thanks for sharing example @Benn_Bennett

I would suggest you to break your people and Tasks into separate tables( Also, location and Status too)

here’s an example of how you can do it.

That definitely helps with the segmentation of tasks, but is there any way within this framework/structure to have table views that show all the people who have certain statuses? I may have been unclear in my earlier post/table. There are two types of statuses. One type should be attached to the person (open, closed, pending), and another to a task (done, not done).

To be more precise - I work in healthcare and when I evaluate people they are one of 4 statuses: referral, trial, evaluation, and other. I need the status and location to both be linked to a person, and I need to be able to see a “birds-eye-view” of everyone under a specific status (and the ability to change status once a user “graduates” to another status) in addition to everything done and not yet done on their case. Does that make sense?

@Benn_Bennett

Thanks for extra details, I added bunch more views. Views inside People Views shows how you can segment based on people status. and Views inside Task Views are task status related views.

1 Like

That’s great! Thank you for showing me how to do that! I copied the doc and looks like I can add tasks in a bunch of different places and they all link up! That’s exactly what I needed.

1 Like

Oh, I completely forgot about one thing! Is there any way to implement/link in a (completion and/or due) date to each task? I tried but I’m not having very much success.

You could add a Due Date and set a formula for new Rows - like in this example, Due Date is Today + 21 so every time a new task is created, it will set that task’s due date to be 21 days from the day it is created.

1 Like