Lock Cell depending on conditions

Capture

It would be nice to have a way to lock a cell for editing depending on certain conditions.
In the example Above I only want the Checked Out To Column (cell) to be editable when CheckedIn=True.

This will prevent someone changing the field when my equipment is Checked Out.

Best Regards.

2 Likes

@Gavin_Goncalves

There is support for this:

In this example, the Check Out button is only clickable once the Checked In box is checked.

You can take this further and make the Check Out box reset the Check In box.

Also, if you wanted button for both, that is likely doable with an extra column (other people may have other or better approaches).

Hmm I don’t think that’s exactly what @Gavin_Goncalves means. It’s the “Checked out to” column that would be good to be disabled.

The buttons can be disabled so it would be a neat feature to extend this to all columns with a “Lock if…” section.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_RnW, Exactly what you said.

I am already disabling the buttons. They are never active at the same time. and the Check-Out button is only active when I have text in the Checked Out To field and CheckedIn=True.

Would be nice to have a similar Disabled if for the Column the Same as the Buttons have

1 Like

Ah, understood. And agreed.

You cannot disable columns (not at the moment at least). But you can implement a kind of workaround:

1. For each “input” column that can be filled, make an “output” column
  2. For the “output” column write a formula that either mirrors the input value, or displays some other value if the input is invalid and/or otherwise should not be used.
  3. Then use the “output” column instead of the input one in the rest of your doc.
  4. Optionally, add an automation to reset the input value if it’s invalid (i.e. if it’s not equal to output, as calculated by your formula)
1 Like

Thank you for the idea.

I’ve used things like this in the past but its a bit confusing as your “display” column isn’t visible at the same spot as the “edit” column. So you have to have a duplicate column visible. Its useful for reports but frustrating for data entry and minimizing views.

I agree that this “solution” is hacky and doesn’t work well in most cases.

I have written out a proposal for formulaic disabling of cells, and would love to have your vote !

3 Likes