Not possible to type Japanese for a first letter

When I try to type in Japanese, a first letter always become strange.
This screenshot is when I type “ni” which supposed to be “に”. The first letter “n” was typed and the cursor moved to very front.
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 15.26.53
Is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks!

3 Likes

Experiencing the same very annoying issue with Chinese, as already reported here.

I see… thanks for your info! Hope it will be fixed soon. It’s very hard to use… :disappointed:

Thanks for reaching out to let us know about this issue. This sounds like it might be related to a known bug the Coda team has identified. That said, we have moved this post to the Suggestion Box: Bugs section of the Community and somebody from the Coda team will be following up with any updates on this issue. Thanks for hanging in there!

+1 to get this fixed – very frustrating when typing in Japanese.

Hey all! We just received news that this bug has been resolved! Can you give it another shot and please let us know if you run into any issues?

1 Like

I have a refreshed tab of Coda, but am still experiencing the issue. Notice how in the attached video, I have to retype the Japanese so it doesn’t include the first letter as English.

• Windows 11 (English Locale, w/ Japanese keyboard switching using Win+Space)
  • Latest Version of Chrome

giffff

Thanks for your update! It’s fixed in my environment!

• MacOS Ventura v13.2.1
  • Latest version of Chrome

Hi,

This issue hasn’t been resolved on Windows.
It hasn’t been fixed in Windows 11 and the latest version of Chrome.

It’s likely that this issue is also causing problems with the candidate "suggesting change mode” and inputting formulas

2 Likes

Hello.

Since the situation has not improved, I created a GIF to illustrate the problem.
2024-04-19_23-48-43

1. In a Japanese environment, I try to enter the document title. In this case, it’s the Japanese word “テスト” (test). The key input in Japanese is “tesuto”.
  2. At this point, the result differs between the first cursor transition and the subsequent second input. In the first attempt, the initial “t” is ignored from the Japanese conversion target, and it is converted to “tえすと”. However, in the second attempt, the initial “t” is correctly included, and it can be converted to “テスト”.

This issue occurs in various places where Japanese input is required, such as entering mathematical formulas, severely degrading efficiency.

Moreover, I believe that this problem likely occurs not only for Japanese users like myself but also for users in other Asian regions who use IME (Input Method Editor).

We request improvements so that users who require IME, like myself, can also take advantage of Coda’s features.

*An IME is always required for Japanese input.