Option: Compact tables - cells with less white space

Coda tables look great, but all the white space in rows makes it harder to print. For publishing I have to use the Chrome print option (for the doc print does not work on my side) - you can see I have posted another topic for printing - , Because of the white space the font seems so little as I have to fit the columns on one page. This makes less readable and longer printed documents compared to the same table’s excel version.

If there was an option to make the cells more compact, with less white space.

6 Likes

I really agree with this, Coda looks clean and sleek, but sometimes we need a more compact / “dirtier” view so we have a bigger picture (literally) of our data

I provide these screenshots for comparison. Spreadsheet has much less white space so the table has a significantly smaller size. We can zoom out in Coda, but the font will be too small.

2 Likes

One (not very good) option is to use a browser extension such as Stylus which will change the look of web-pages via CSS code. No change is made to the doc, just the way your browser displays it.

For example:

.kr-cell {
    padding: 3px !important;
    min-height: 8px;

}

.kr-row {
    min-height: 0;
}

will change this:

into this:

2 Likes

Hey there!

Thank you for sharing this feedback. The Coda product team is exploring the possibility of enabling compact tables as suggested! Currently, the project is in the exploration phase and we can’t make any promises. However, we would love to get some more feedback from you all to better understand possible solutions.

If you’ve ever wanted to use more compact tables, we would love to connect with you on a 20 minute call to learn how you would like to use this feature and get your feedback on an initial prototype. Please sign up here to chat with a product manager from our team.

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Hi, sorry I missed that call. I was away from Coda for some time. Checking back again, sadly I can see no improvements in this area.

Hi there! I’d also love this feature.