Outlining within a Section would be the bees knees. Am I alone here?

I did a search and it seems like no one has suggested having Outlining capability in CODA. I find that surprising, but ok.

I stopped using Workflowy and DynaList and switched to CODA for several reasons. But man do I miss the ability to collect my notes in Outlines.

• Collapsing Outlines
  • The ability to Focus IN on an outline section and easily moving back out
  • The ability to move entire outline sections with a simple drag and drop
  • Both Workflowy and Dynalinst let you send hare link that takes the person directly to a spcfic section within a outline

Being able to compose Outlines within a Cdoc Section is very appealing to me.

Here is a LOOM I made to illustrate what am talking about:
[https://www.useloom.com/share/26e49de9471e45cb950ec6b3947ec007]

Q: anyone else hoping for this capability?

15 Likes

I don’t 100% understand what you mean here? Like a table of contents? Or allowing you to minimize H1/H2/H3 sections?

0 Likes

Thank you for alerting me to my post being unclear.

here is A Loom screen recording I created to illustrate what I am talking about:

Best,

1 Like

That’s very cool and helpful! Thanks for sharing! Didn’t know I wanted that functionality until now :wink:

Being able to reorder lists via drag/drop would be SUPER helpful to have in and of itself.

2 Likes

The combination of Collapsing outline sections and the Focus In feature are game changers for me, especially when using the app in real time during meetings.

ALSO: the ability to create a sharable Link that brings a user back to a specific outline within a doc… very useful!.

1 Like

Just another vote for this feature.

I used to use outlines for EVERYTHING. Since moving to shared docs I simply adjusted my expectations.

This would be a fantastic coda feature.

1 Like

+1. Another vote for this feature.
I currently use Workflowy for planning and organizing certain projects because of it’s surprisingly intuitive outlining feature, but I would love to switch to Coda.
If I could get comparably solid outlining features here in Coda I suspect I could accomplish a lot more here.

0 Likes

I switched from Workflowy to Dynalist. For a host of reasons. Man do I miss that functionality…

1 Like

I agree it would be a great idea to have outlining, and I also think it would obviate a table of contents if it loaded collapsed by default. That is, instead of clicking through a table of contents, you just expand the tree down. To make it really sing, you would want some way to track down a highlighted word in a collapsed section if you search for text on a page. That is, if you search for “increment” in a section and it’s in a collapsed outline item, you should have some kind of indicator point you to the section so you can drill down to find the text.

0 Likes

I greatly miss the outlining functionality that I had with Workflowy, Dynalist, and Notion.so. Is there any chance that this could be on the product backlog? If yes, is there any timeline that someone from Coda can provide?

2 Likes

+1 for me.

Long time Workflowy user. It is still my go-to app for most everything. Coda is replacing some of its use cases, but until it can do a good outline that focuses and collapses, Workflowy will be my staple. Robust outlining is a necessity in a productivity app for me.

3 Likes

Does any Codan here have a feedback about this idea?

0 Likes

Hey guys, this is a feature we’ve thought about building many times and have heard from users as well. It’s definitely on our list of things to do but can’t promise a timeline for this specific feature. I personally would love to see it as well and will push for us to add it!

1 Like