Launched: Section Outlines

One of my favorite things about Coda is that it’s a doc that grows with you, your ideas and your teams. But sometimes that means a single Section becomes an enduring, growing Source of Truth (or meeting notes, or project milestones . . .) that can be a bit unwieldy to navigate. Recently we launched Collapsible Headers, Tables & Views and Drag-and-Drop Text, and today we’re going one step further to help you organize your sections with Section Outlines!

Now you can add outlines for your sections to help viewers understand how information is organized within the section. Outlines will update automatically when new sections are added and/or header sizes are changed. Clicking a line-item in an outline will jump you to that section of the doc.

section outline gif

Section outlines are especially useful for long sections with lots of headings. (Tip: Try pairing this with collapsible headers!)

You can turn section outlines on in the Section Options menu (which has graduated from a dropdown menu to a fuller right-side panel!) by hovering over the top of your section canvas to expose ‘Options’ and then clicking it.

enable section outline gif

You can hide the outline by clicking on the ‘kebab’ (three vertical dots) menu that shows to the right of it when you engage with the outline. If you want to re-enable it after hiding, you must re-open the Section Options menu.

A few other things to know about our new feature:

• Section outlines currently only work on docs viewed on desktop; they are not supported on mobile experiences
  • Section outlines include tables and views, which have H2-sized headers, so they will show up as such in the outline hierarchy

We hope this helps you organize and navigate your sections, and welcome any feedback about section outlines!

ー Sergei

31 Likes

Great stuff. Now take the last step - link outlines to table data - and you’ll make me into TRUE BELIEVER!!!

3 Likes

@Paul_Bettner that’s an intriguing idea – how do you envision outlines linking to table data?

I’ve occasionally dreamt about the other way around: accessing section text and header data via tables and/or formulae.

But what were you thinking?

2 Likes

Finally, Coda has “Table of content.”

I had tweaked TOC Section outline (TOC) Tweak

4 Likes

Great! Thank you for listening to users!

3 Likes

Thanks for listening us!

I’m going to use your TOC quite a lot. It reshapes Coda, bringing it closer to complex documents, wikis, etc.

Paired with nestable sections… this is going to be awesome!

4 Likes

Toady 3/29 , I notice TOC add tooltip for long head text .

but it doesn’t work long table/ chart title.

I still like my style, warp long text , but I don’t know how align .

I don’t like tooltip, it responds so slowly and it has repeating texts that can’t focus on see the title.

That’s cool, I can write a long text and navigate the document easier, thank you!

1 Like

Please add the option show/don’t show in mobile. Section outlines are extremely usefull for mobile (who uses a desktop?) - but I can imagine some builders don’t want it in their mobile views. So, optional inclusion would be great.