Place formular inside a table's cell

In the text canvas I can put a formular anywhere using command “=” . Onnce calculated the formular can be named and I can place its value anywhere on the text canvas using command =.

However inside a text cell (of a text column in table), the = command won’t work. I think it’s related to the text data type in Coda can not hold the numeric value so it won’t allow using formular.

Anybody know how a work around this issue? I’m quite sure that many people who use table for weekly planning will be happy to reference some mettrict to the weekly planning text.

Dear @Viet_Anh_Hoang,

In case I have understood your point, does the below solve your question?

Thanks, that works when each cell is following a specific rule.

What if we want to just have a formula for a specific cell?

Specifically, I want to be able to type “=” in a specific cell table and reference a named formula.

You can’t do that in Coda. And while that first feels restrictive, it’s actually Codas super power and what makes it the great product it is.

The reason you can’t do it is because Codas tables are databases where each row is a distinct thing, and each column attributes of that thing

Therefore cells aren’t distinct entities - they exist as a part of and connected to the row.

What are you trying to solve? I can help give a Coda like solution to your need for a cell formula!

3 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better myself, @Scott_Collier-Weir ! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Don’t forget that you can put individual formulas in Canvas column cells. You have to name each one to reference them outside of the cell, but it might give you the flexibility you need.

1 Like