Project Management - Dependencies

Hi makers! We’re working on making the project management and task dependencies features in Coda better, and want to hear from you. Use this form to tell us about the project management tools you’ve used and how you set up and managed task dependencies. Your feedback will help us design better ways of doing this in Coda.

Also, don’t forget to check the opt in button if you would like to be involved in any future beta for work we do in this space. We appreciate your input and look forward to hearing from you!

3 Likes

Hey Ramesh,
I’ve tried building project management tools with coda and it was challenging. I’m not sure how far you want to go with dependency tracking. for example, it’s simple for a project row to refer back to another project row (same table) to show a relationship. do you want to be able to indicate anything about the dependency: in vs out, start-start, start-finish, finish-start, finish-finish? do you want to be able to track dependency chains so that you can calculate critical paths?

when I tried building a dependency chain, there was much hackery to get the predecessors and successors.

let me know if you want to chat about all this.

btw: happy to hear that you are getting serious about it though.
Mark

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who shared your thoughts on dependencies with us! I’m happy to update you that that our team has been working on implementing this feature and we’re opening up a beta to get your feedback.

If you already opted in to testing the feature in your response to the form I originally shared here, we’ll be reaching out soon and turning this capability on for your account. If you haven’t already, you can sign up to be a beta tester by filling out this form.

You’ll notice the following changes if you opt-in to the beta:

• Ability to enable dependency enforcement via Timeline settings
  • Ability to choose between Flexible, Strict and Visual (no enforcement)
    • Flexible will only move dependent items when dates overlap
    • Strict maintains the buffer between dependent items when they are moved

Please note that this feature will be part of Coda’s Team and Enterprise tiers, so the workspace associated with the supplied email will need to be on one of those paid tiers in order for the feature to be enabled.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.