Publish a Play Document Without Links to the Source Tables

Hidinging or disabling the source table hyperlink in published documents which is meant only for Viewing and Playing with data could solve so many issues and open the doors for so many different use cases.

A couple of years after the first time I posted a suggestion about this is still a dealbreaker for so many use cases of Coda.

Please fix this already.

One of the particular reasons why this is blocking many use cases is because the source tables are usually just as backend data while views are those that present the information to the users. Often using this structure means that we have tables in hidden pages BUT with this link neither the tables, nor the pages are hidden any more, leaving all data exposed to whoever wants to reach it in a published document.

Published documents with Edit access should also keep the hidden sections hidden for most user types but let’s start with this supposedly simpler case.

3 Likes

Hi all – is there any update on this question?

I would really like to be able to make certain views of my tables visible to outside viewers without exposing the whole interconnected data structure under the hood.

does anyone have a workaround for this issue? I’m not having a lot of success in trying to create a cross-doc that has linked copies of the underlying tables – and even if I could figure out how to do this, how could I make sure that everything stays up to date?

Hi Christina - You can refresh the cross doc, either manually or periodically. The frequency depends on the plan that you have.

Thanks a lot Piet,

What I’m having a hard time figuring out is how create a publishable page that contains both the main table I’d like to show plus all of the other sub-tables that will populate various columns (if the sub tables aren’t in the doc, they seem to either display a weird row number or a greyed out version of the column from the main doc).

So … I’m hoping there is another way, but what it seems like I have to do is to create an entire new version of my original pages — with a deeply complex set of refresh links-- just to be able to hide some of the back end complexity that isn’t useful for outside viewers.

It would be so much easier to be able to simply publish one or more views from my original document. – I have been counting on this possiblitiy when I read the advertising about being able to publish docs. I just didn’t realize until now that there’s no way to not publish the whole doc with all of its sub pages.

Coda is working on it. The sync page functionality recently released is one of the building blocks on the road.

1 Like

Thanks Piet, I realized this as I was searching around later this afternoon. It’s SUPER exciting that this is a feature that the team is working on.

For now I’m cludging something for our audience to use until this release comes out.

Many thanks!

1 Like