Publish feature: add password capability

@anon21780085

What was your work around?

I am bumping this as a sorely needed feature.
Dear Codans: A thread that is nearly 3 years old, with 30+ votes and constant engagement surely deserves some acknowledgement. Even if it is just to tell us that this feature will not be implemented and lay out your reasoning.

8 Likes

Or maybe a workaround.

Another way to handle this would be to require login - which is a type of password - however publish/edit mode gives defacto share/edit permissions, so it doesn’t work. BUT! If they fixed publish/edit I believe it would work for this use case, no?

1 Like

+1 we need to be able to share information from our system with potential partners seemlessly as a published page. Dont want to have to host and embed. It’s an extra cost only because this feature doesnt exist in coda. And we cant do an open publish because of NDAs and public stealth.

+1! There should be a simple password drag and drop feature to set a password for individual pages.

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the community, and thanks for your contribution!

Could you please elaborate on that a little bit?

• Does that include sub-pages or not?
  • I assume there would also be a need to manage which pages have their access estricted, and to which users?
  • Is the intention to keep the person out of the rest of the document, or to give special people access to additional information that is not available to the rest of the users on the doc?
  • When a person does get access to page, what should they be able to do?
    1. View, edit delete, create?
      • if more than view, to which kinds of objects should the person be able to use? (Pages, tables, packs, buttons(including the formula language.

Thanks in advance for your response.
P

1 Like

+1!

Would be a massive gamechanger for collaboration with consultancy clients to see project status, time tracking and next steps, but without having to log in!

3 Likes

We really need this functionality. Surely it can’t be so hard to implement a single password protection on a doc we want to share with certain partners without having to invite them one by one.

Up! Agree with everything said above.

Would love to keep this feature request on the radar. I’m looking for a way to allow people to gain special access to resources (plus contribute to it as well) and Coda is always my first choice when possible.

3 Likes

We would absolutely love to have this feature as well. Coda use at our Org (and new Doc Creator Seats) would meaningfully increase if such a “password protected published doc” feature were available.

Bonjour,
Yes a password protected feature would be really cool. Here is one more use cases. I’m working at a french university, teaching software engineering at master levels. Coda is really cool for software engineering purposes and creating documentation/project management/etc artifacts along other sources like GitHub and so on. Really cool. It would be really nice for students to include Coda in their resume and so that they can show what they created during big projects. For various reasons it is not feasible to make the document fully public (some names in the document, etc). But it would be very nice to give a password protected document to potential recruiters. Recruiters being in many different companies (master students apply to different places), it might be a good way to make some advertisement about the power of Coda. In this use case a single whole-document password would be really fine.
My $0.01.

2 Likes

I agree. The lack of password protection for a shared page has been such a massive pain.

I was thinking of holding a no code class for middle and high school students on how to make useful docs in Coda to track things like homework, habits, classes, etc., and have the final project be each student building a wish list tracker to securely share with their parents and family. I won’t do it if the family members have to create a Coda account to view the wish lists and I don’t want to have to dig in to cross doc workarounds in a beginner no code class just to facilitate a wish list that isn’t out in the open.

Yes this is needed for custom domain publishing as well. I have to switch a project to Notion and a third party custom domain tool now. :shushing_face:

1 Like