Publish feature: add password capability

Would like to have the ability to add a simple password to a published Coda page. I’ve kept the page private, which is great, but wouldn’t mind an extra layer of protection, especially if I wanted to allow editing.

17 Likes

hi @anon21780085 :slightly_smiling_face:
I can suggest 2 way to solve this

1. Use a cross-doc that contain a list of user that you allow into your doc (this is cool because you can then add other information, like user type, and then changing your doc consequentially)
    You then check if current user is into that list
    It’s fast and more safe, because coda’s login system is secure
    It’s problematic if you have many users, because you have to add those by hand

2. Create a table with an input field and a .createdby() column, in this way, with a button that create a new row in that table, every user have his own input field where they can write the password
    (That table will have a filter that show only current user’s row)
    This table should be locked, and you’ll need the Team coda plan :frowning:

Let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

P.s. built in password-lock could be also an interesting feature! :grin:

1 Like

Second this request.

Handy for things like online CV’s or availability checkers where you’d like people to be able to view it without having to have an account but don’t want it openly available for anyone

3 Likes

Can you elaborate on how you see this being effectuated?

A simple password like Wordpress implements for individual pages would be enough. I don’t see the need to make a full authentication system with individual users.

Here’s a screenshot of a passworded Wordpress page.

4 Likes

Here’s the option in the Wordpress UI, in case helpful:

2 Likes

@Johg_Ananda manually.
Till coda will release a “who can use my doc, maybe paying for it” plugin that allow a precise user management you have to be creative, so just use coda’s power to create apps :slight_smile:
The tool that i would use is cross doc, also Mr. Danyliuk had thought about this concept, he pointed out the downsides in an older post, search for it!

@anon21780085 i know that a simple password would be easy enough, but i’m not a coda developer, i’m a user that in the meantime have found other way to work around current limitation.
You can use one trick or wait indefinitely till someone will add this feature, probably a long time

Agree. I need this function either!

Yes I agree - also needed is the ability to prevent copying of a doc - right now all editors can copy and then strip away any permissions.

3 Likes

Super critical feature, im surprised its not in yet. Please guys, make it happen! Simple password option to pages.

1 Like

Same here - could really do with password protection for individual docs. Seems a fairly basic thing as like @anon21780085 says, WordPress does it, as does all the MSOffice apps.

I think this would be really handy as sometimes you need to share sensitive information with people without having to force them to create a coda account. I guess the only recourse is to export as a pdf and lock that, but then they wont see what they’re missing!

1 Like

Bump! After working with Coda for a few years now we’re having to move to competitors like ClickUp to allow finer control over sharing pages. In our business, password protecting a published document would vastly increase the use cases for Coda over alternatives.

Please can a Codan tell us their thinking on password-protecting published docs?

4 Likes

I am also so very intersted in their plans for Sharing, Publishing, Access control. We also use many other tools (including ClickUp) and prefer it because of the lack of security and access control in Coda.

4 Likes

Bumping this request too! We are using Coda to share our work with our third parties and customers. The lack of password protected documents (such as we can find in Notion) makes us really uncomfortable when using the platform. Asking everyone to create a Coda account when broadcasting for reading only (rather than collaboration) is really unfeasible/unpractical. Would love to have an option when sharing a doc to set a single password. Cheers!

4 Likes

Airtable and Notion have it. Why not Coda?

4 Likes

Bumping this again. I have exactly the same use case as Ali above. Please can we have a Codan talk to us about whether this will become a thing? If not, why not, etc. Thanks!

5 Likes

I do hope it gets implemented ASAP.

+1 Even with all the other advantages, this seemingly simple feature would get me over from notion, which also does not has such protection.

2 Likes

Ditto. Publishing and embedding overall is just a mess.
If I want to embed it on a secure website… well embedding enables the copying of docs, the showing of hidden pages/etc.
If I want to publish it so I can remove the copy and the hidden pages… I can’t password protect it. And I don’t want everyone to have to sign up for Coda.

SMH. This is pretty elementary.

2 Likes

I would love to see an option to password protect pages and subpages. I’ve made an report with content and data that I want share in public but with a password.