Search within PDF and Images (OCR)

As mentioned in the community, a reason for keeping stuff in Evernote is the ability to search for text in images and in PDF documents. It’s a great function which makes Evernote very hard to let go. If I had to pick one of them, I would go for PDF search, which I guess is less complicated to implement.
I have been waiting for this function in Coda, but just realised that it was not mentioned in the Suggestion Box.
So her it is! Vote on :slight_smile:

I don’t use this often, but when I need it, I need it bad… :wink:

We get around this limitation with a home-grown system that was patterned after this approach. Using a custom Pack we were able to use the S3 repository as the definitive source of all PDF-based information.

I think it’s safe to say that there are many more ways to do this better and cheaper given the improvements to Pack capabilities and PDFs pushed through a ML pipeline. This guy actually had GP3 write the code to summarize and extract keywords for PDFs.

Fun to hear there are ways around, as often Coda people find. Though, this is a bit above me, sorry :slight_smile:

Indeed; it’s a lot of machinery. You might want to take a look at Bardeen. I think they recently added some AI features that would allow you to capture summaries and keywords from a PDF and then add it to a Coda table.

Don’t let the label on this automation component mislead you - their image-to-text feature also works with PDF documents.

With this, you could build a workflow recipe that is kicked off when viewing a PDF, and then harvests the text which could be added to a Coda table in full, thus achieving a full-text search inside Coda. It could also use any of Bardeen’s other AI components to extract keywords, summations, analytics, etc. and add those to the table row as well.

Text Blaze may also be able to do this as well, although, a mental sketch of the solution is not as obvious. Both Text Blaze and Bardeen are #no-code integration tools, so you might really enjoy them for this and many other automated workflows internal and external to Coda.