Show: Dynamic form a la Typeform

I just made a form that makes it possible to dynamically adjust or update questions and answers, and supports single choice, multiple choice, and combined single and multiple choice questions. Not fully completed yet, but wanted to share as I’ve seen people asking for something like this.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 10.52.08
I just created 3 separate table views, each for a type of question, and made sure each question opens in appropriate view.

Now, you can have all the dynamic executed in the button. This can include, adding more questions to the queue, removing questions from it, and changing the answer options.

Check out how it works:
ezgif.com-gif-maker

The logic is currently using data in these columns,
but this can be further expanded:

12 Likes

hi @Tomislav_Mamic , if one day you feel your doc is ready enough for sharing, I’d love to see the set up. !

Cheers, Christiaan

2 Likes

You had me at Typeform. It would be great to be able to replace good looking and highly functional templates like these Typeform Templates | Form & Survey Templates That’ll Impress with the equivalent in Coda.

1 Like

What I meant with Typeform is a layout where there is only one question visible at any moment, and you have a feeling you are walking through the questionnaire.
Yes, this interface I managed to make in Coda isn’t as nice as the one of Typeform. But its backend enables much much more flexibility and adjustability than Typeform. You can build a system that automatically assembles ad hoc surveys with infinite variations.
In contrast, in Typeform you need to in advance create each possible survey and branch. If you are like me, and have anywhere near 100 different questions, and all possible combinations, all depending on type of user and previous answers, you won’t be able to do that in Typeform, Jotform, Paperform, Google forms or any other ready-made form solution.

1 Like

This can be combined with the approach I used here:

Basically create a sandbox doc with whatever form-like interface (like I created a cart or @Tomislav_Mamic created a form-like flow) and make the final step a submission of an actual Coda Form to the private doc with all the answers encoded someway in a URL param.

4 Likes

Hi @Tomislav_Mamic , did you complete this form? Is it possible to share it? I’m looking to build dynamic surveys from a variety of preset, different prompts, based on need cases. And since I can’t figure out how to transpose row items (i.e., selected prompts) into column headers in Coda (to set up the form like mechanic), I’m trying to figure out work arounds. The prompts will either need Open Ended, T/F, Likert Scale or Multiple Choice answers (depending on Interviewer). Wondering if I could see how you set up your backend tables to get the form to populate as you are showing. Thanks, much!

Hey Kate,

unfortaunately I never got to finishing the project.
I don’t remember the details, but I think I stopped developing it at to point of making it possible to easily create such forms. The prototype you see here is manually created. Each question is created individually. This includes creating the views and everything. I needed to make that easier by creating generic templates that user could use to create forms with tens of questions.

I can share my doc with you if you want to take a look.

Hi Tomislav,

I appreciate you getting back to me.

I understand.

I’d love to look “under the hood” at least, just to get some understanding of the relationships you built between the tables and the lookups, etc.

I’m super new to Coda and am even taking the Doctorate course to help understand the platform better.

The instructors tell us to look at what the community has posted to learn from real life examples to get a better grasp of how things are built.

Yes, if you could share your document, that would be super helpful, no doubt!

Thanks again for your reply.
Have a nice day.
KT

Kate

Brand Development. Creative Thinker. Problem Solver.

Okay, please DM me your email.