Template pages not showing up in formula

I have the following scenario: I want to create a table for all my meetings and have to different buttons to create meetings with each using a different template for the Notex (Canvas) column.
I have created the templates as subpages of the doc.

Here is a test doc to show what I am trying to accomplish. In this doc, everything works exactly as I want.

Here is my problem: I already have this exact setup working in my work coda account and now I wanted to recreate this again for a different use case. But for some reason that I cannot figure out, when I try to create the formula for the Notes (Canvas) column, then the subpages which contain the templates simply don’t show up in the list to be selected.
Why are subpages not able to be selected in the formula? There must be some weird reason that I can’t figure out.

It’s driving me crazy as I am doing everything exactly as I did the first time where the formula worked. Would really appreciate any hints to solve this.

Hi @gunza,

it doesn’t work because the row is already created before it triggers the “Value for new rows”-Action that inserts your template.
I would suggest you to setup and use a different solution:
Either set the value directly in your button or create another button in your table that you can push after the row was created.

Besides that i would suggest you not to store your templates in subpages but in another table instead. You can simply filter the row (template) you want effortlessly then without using the buggy method with the subpages.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Sincerely
Jannis

Hi @Jannis,

thanks for your reply. I am not sure I fully understand. In the test doc that I linked it seems to work fine. So in general I don’t see an issue with this approach. It’s just weird how it works fine in one case, and not at all in the other, despite doing the same steps.

I also thought about setting the value directly in the button, but I can’t figure out a good way to do that. Meaning, to set a proper template with formatted text and even a table.

I am not sure what you mean with “not to store your templates in subpages but in another table instead.” Can you please point me in the right direction where I can learn more about this?
Where do I have to store this table? (on the same page or can I store it on a different page?)

Okay @gunza,

please take a look at this topic.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Sincerely
Jannis

1 Like

Hi @Jannis,
thanks again, but unfortunately I could not get the solution out of this at all. Still fairly new to formulas and the solution in the topic you linked is way over my head :smile:

The solution I am suggesting and that is already working in my test doc is also suggested in this topic. Using a page or subpage as a template and then inserting this template in a Canvas column via the `value for new rows´ formula seems to be also suggested in the Coda FAQs.

I wanna try again to state my problem, cause I find it hard to properly explain. As it shows with my test doc, I am able to do exactly what I want. The problem occurs when I try to replicate this same use case in a team space in my Coda work account.
I’ve created two subpages as templates and if I don’t use a formula, then those subpages show up perfectly in the dropdown for the “value for new rows” of the Canvas column.
But, if I wanna use a formula in the “value for new rows” field, then for some strange reason the subpages cannot be selected anymore?

So my problem is less about the formula, but more about the fact that subpages can’t be used within any formula. It just doesn’t make sense to me why that is the case, especially when I have already created two other versions of this exact workflow in different docs.

Does it have anything to do that I am trying to create this in an enterprise account on a page that is “public” to the whole team? Because I am able to create this exact workflow in my “private” docs of that same enterprise account.

Hi @gunza,

i unterstand your problem but can confirm that this has nothing to do with your plan at all. I also don’t know why it is not possible to reference subpages in a formula. I guess it is a bug.

I already had different situations where i was struggling with that bug as well and didn’t get it working, thats why i always choose my suggested way to go.

Sincerely
Jannis

1 Like

@gunza

But if you wanna keep going this way, i suggest you to go the way with the button.
I just created that for you here:

Sincerely
Jannis

1 Like

Appreciate all your inputs and help @Jannis!

One last question…is there an easy example on how to insert a template from another table (which you suggested initially). I’ve tried to figure out how to do that, but can’t seem to find an easy example that explains it.

I don’t think there is an easier example or explanation that the one i referenced earlier in the other post…

It’s also quite easy to do once you understood how it works. It’s basically just a filter formula that says filter that exact row and from that row that specific column and insert it into my row…

Please take a look into it again, i am sure you will get it by time. Furthermore you can look into Coda’s YouTube Channel. They don’t have a video for that specific use case we are currently talking about but they have a video about filters that will help you.

Sincerely
Jannis

1 Like

I will have another look. Need to get a grip on the filter formulas. Thanks again for all your help.

With the help of ChatGPT I was finally able to get the right formula that works :laughing:

1 Like

Okay, great.

No problem, if you need any more help, feel free to ask.

Sincerely
Jannis

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.