User Text Box Input

Is it possible to make a Control that is a Text box (not within a table) so that users can enter text

The text box would then be referenced as a RegexMatch so that the user will be able to quickly search our data table of parts for a desired name, all public!

13 Likes

Great idea! Not yet, but this is something we’re planning for the future.

In the meantime, there’s a couple of options you can consider.

1. Simulate the control with a very minimal table of one cell - see these community threads: Text control box for search? and Partial Match Search Box Filter

2. Create a named formula whose value is a text string, and reference that formula when filtering the table. Users would need to edit the formula value to change the search term.

1 Like

Yep I though of these too. My issue with 1. is I like to keep my tables VERY organized, i.e. there is a section table, and a full data table, and 36 views. for me a table with single variable purpose is dangling, needs to be either declared locally only, or we need that text box. thanks!

3 Likes

I second @Michael_Armani’s request.

I agree that this should be added. With this functionality, you will be able to have a proper search box. Also, you can use the same control for filling in form data.

Can we change this topic name to: “Text box control” ?

Low hanging :kiwi_fruit: ?

3 Likes

:man_facepalming: <---- My reaction when I found out there isn’t a text box field.

You’re kidding right? Seems like an MVP feature for an app like this.

There are so many things in Coda that seem straight forward, but are unnecessarily obtuse. Like… hmmm… I want to enter text.

Yeah, I just spent 10 minutes trying to find one and was just as surprised to see there is not one! The 10 minutes was not wasted, however, as I saw how many things Coda has added in the last few months.

Anyway, generic text input seems like a high priority addition. My use case is a simple search box. I plan to have a field that users can type text in, and filter a table view based on the text.

I’ll use one of the work-arounds for now.

Would like to second this. It is pretty unintuitive for my team to sniff out the control I have set up in the canvas above a table for them to filter through the rows.

Hoping to see this soon guys!

forms in general would be great