I’m working on a doc that should tremendously speed up building new Coda packs.
So far it’s only a small proof of concept: a module that converts a JSON response from an endpoint into schema code:
Ultimately this will be a complete solution that will let you:
- configure multiple schemas with custom mappings and Coda type parameters
- specify API endpoints
- set up those end points to function as formulas, actions, column formats, or sync tables
- ultimately — generate dynamic sync tables as well
You’d be able to use it to:
- quickly generate packs for yourself
- make packs for the upcoming Pack Gallery to share or sell
- make packs to apply for the Maker Fund
The mission here is to make a pack generator that
- for complicated APIs — will aid in generating the scaffolding, saving some good hours of time
- for simple APIs — will be able to produce a pack with no further tinkering required (i.e. you won’t have to learn the SDK at all)
There’s probably some overlap with what @Bill_French is making here. I haven’t seen the actual solution though. Regardless, I have my own vision of how to build this. (You already know how meticulously I craft my docs, right? )
The tool is going to be paid. I haven’t yet fully decided on the final monetization model — whether it will be a one-time fee, a flat monthly subscription, selling packages of #s of requests to the generator, or a mix of either.
You can purchase early access now though and get access to the tool perpetually with all further updates for $60 with no extra cost. Please fill out this form and either:
- subscribe to my Patreon with a $60 pledge (charged immediately; you can reduce or remove it before the end of the month)
- specify that you wish to pay with credit card and I’ll send you a payment request through Payoneer shortly.
For everyone who’s been my Patron already: the tool will be available if your cumulative pledge amount over time is >= $60 already — no need to pay more
Patreon is, of course, cooler because you’ll get access to some extra niceties. But if you want it simple and don’t care about any other content from me, the Payoneer way also works.