'Add row' button with cancellation

Hi,

I’m using a button with the ‘Add row’ action to add a new entry to the table. The problem is that it adds a row without a confirmation. So even if I change my mind and want to cancel the new entry, it’s already added once the ‘Add row’ dialog pops up. So only way to undo it is to go to the bottom of the table and delete the empty row just added. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Jaewon

3 Likes

Dear @Jaewon_Jung,

You could also make a button to delete the row.
Undo (CTRL Z) should also solve the issue.

1 Like

@Jean_Pierre_Traets could you elaborate on your idea to “make a button to delete the row”?

I’m also looking for the ability to “cancel” an “Add Row” operation. Basically, that suggested flow works really well for the “happy path” of adding a new item to a table through a “form-like” interface. However, it’s not uncommon for users to be used to clicking a “Save” or “Cancel” button on the form to commit their change. My users are looking for this same behavior here.

I’m thinking that I could add a another column to the table I’m adding to that would have a “Cancel” button in it and the action would be to delete the current row. Is that what you had in mind as well?

The only downside to this is that on my “form” (I’m using the default layout for now), I would get a column heading and then the button beneath it - not as clean as just having the button at the bottom of the list of columns.

Handling the “Save” is a little less clear to me as my action would basically be to just close the expanded row view as the row was already added and the values were already set based on the user’s input.

Last note… “undo” is not really an option here as most of my users will be using through a mobile experience and “Undo” is either not available through the mobile app , or is not obvious enough for them to make use of it in this situation.

Thanks!

Hi @Thomas_Robbs2,

That’s a while ago.
I will do my best to recall what I had in mind and come back to you.

Edit: 04/06/2020