Button to add row on two tables in the same time (table's are used for calendars)

Hi everyone,

So i have a master table with a quite a few columns. One of the things I’m looking to create is to have another table with less columns that will be having the same data, so that I can pull a clearer Calendar, Timeline and Kanban view.

• The second (cleaner) view will be used for external users and not the team members.

One way I’m thinking of this, is to have a second table and the button to add the data for in the master table > automatically to be adding it to the second one.

Example: this is external table with less columns. The original one has +5 others.

And from the external I will need to pull Timeline and Kanban views as well.

Is this possible?

Or is there another way so that if:
The first 5 columns are the same (same data) are auto populated at the same time > at the same time Im able to create timeline for each table (the data not affecting them).

I don’t understand why two tables then.

Wouldn’t a view solve this?

If you want a table exactly like this one, in the same doc, that’s synchronized to the master one — congrats, you simply need a View :slight_smile: Make a view and hide the columns you don’t want to display.

If you need a kanban, a calendar etc — congrats, that’s already Views, just of a different type. Everything in Coda that looks like a piece of data is basically a base (master) table, or a view of some master table.

What do you mean by “external table”?

Hi @Paul_Danyliuk

Yes I’m already pulling views from the master table.

However, I need to be able to show the same data/views with less details.

Question: what if I need to give access to a person that is not part of the team and the view of the table has hidden columns.
Will they be able to view them in the table or any other view that is pulled from there if they have an editor permission?

Just in case, do you know an automation or a function that can populate two tables at the same time?

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

If you give anyone as little as read-only access, consider that they can access all the data in the doc. It’s effectively a single file that gets served into a person’s browser.

That said, filtering and locking and disabling copy on a doc will prevent most of the average users from cracking it.

On displaying less details, you can set up different layouts on different views:

Generally if you need to limit access on a more granular level than entire doc, you have to create separate docs and sync portions of data through cross-doc. I’m working on a pack that should make this scenario easier to handle but so far it’s as tricky as this:

Thanks @Paul_Danyliuk ,

Ill play around with these and will probably make it work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.