Cross Doc Vs Copying the data to another

Hi,
I need to be able to edit the same data in a number of Docs, I tried Cross doc but there you can only edit the data in the source and I don’t want everyone to have assccess to the source.

I tough of duplicating data as it comes in (from forms) into two docs, is that possible? how? ( i know it won’t be synced, that’s ok)

and Im open to other ideas,

Thanks,
Tomer

hi @Tomer_Marshall ,

You can only use the new embed logic under the condition that the users in the source doc are the same in the target doc. Most often this is exactly what makers want to avoid.

More about this subject here:

Cheers,

Christiaan

Hey there!

If you can wait, Coda is developing 2 way sync compatibilities for cross doc so that cross doc tables can be editable.

Until then, you could also look into my 2 way sync pack which allows for easy set up of a 2 way sync between tables

1 Like

Thanks, but it I DON’T need the 2 way sync, just have the data come in to one doc via a form and then get replicated to another doc, how can I do that? (i’m guessing it’s simple, but this is my first time with Coda)

Oh! Yeah the cross-doc is your solution. It allows you to sync in tables from ONE doc to any other document

for the moment you have two options as far as I can se

• embed the page in an other doc, but then the users must have access to both docs
  • use a webhook logic, below the blog I wrote about it, no user correspondence required. The pack is free and the set up not too difficult. The tedious and uncomfortable job is that you have to select the columns one by one on the wo sides. It results in editable values in the target docs.

Cheers, Christiaan

1 Like

@Christiaan_Huizer Hi, I’m using your webhook pack to send row data from one doc to another. However, I’m slightly confused by your Target Doc documentation. You wrote for Step 4: “You go to the “then” part and you set the values in your target table following this logic…” In the “Then” part of my automation, I selected “+AddRow”, picked the table that I’m adding the row to, but after that I’m not sure where to put the formula (thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON(“$.column1”)? The “Set Values” fields don’t allow me to input a formula. The automation just puts the formula text into the row. Any ideas what I’m missing? Thank you!

hi @Lee_Legg1 ,

to insert this code snippet, you need to open the formula editor first.

thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column1")

this is what you see first:

second you type ’ = " in the cell where you read ‘enter value’, this opens the formula editor and this is the place where you apply the code snippets.

I hope it helps, Christiaan

@Christiaan_Huizer Thank you, that helped. I didn’t realize I needed to type “=” first, or more likely, I just forgot. It’s been a while since I’ve spent time in Coda like this. Thanks again!

When using Add Row in the Automation, when I click the button in the source table it works as expected, adding the content from each column of that row to the corresponding column in the target table. However, if I use “Add or Modify Rows” in the Automation, making sure to set up each column the same as before with the formula, when I click the button to Push to Target Doc, the Webhook gets an error:

Is there a way to see what the error is? I’m glad to provide any other info that would be helpful. Thanks!

incredible as it may sound @Lee_Legg1 , I dont know what causes this, did you put the automation on (blue instead of orange)? this is often overlooked.

I double checked, and the automation is turned on.

It’s seems to only be happening when the AddOrModify version is turned on. If I switch AddOrModify off and turn on AddRow, it works as expected.

Edit: I’d be glad to share the docs with you if you think that might help.

well, the idea behind the blogs is that a maker can figure it out :wink:

This is the structure you need in AddOrModifyRows:

[Target Table].AddOrModifyRows(
      key.Contains(thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column1")),
      [Target Table].key,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column1"),
      [Target Table].birthDay,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column2"),
      [Target Table].firstName,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column3"),
      [Target Table].lastName,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column4"),
      [Target Table].role,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column5"),
      [Target Table].email,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column6"),
      [Target Table].imageURL,
      thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ParseJSON("$.column7")
    ),

it is thus important to have a key that is also coming back in the rest of the function.

Edit: Deleting my post, since I figured out my issue.

In making the 2 versions of the Automation, I started with the AddRows version, then Duplicated that and changed the Then section to AddOrModifyRows, not realizing that the webhook URL and API Token would be different. I copied those values into the button of the Source doc and it seems to be working. At least no errors so far. Still doing some testing to make sure it’s updating as expected.

Thanks!

glad you solved it,
indeed each webhook runs on their own tokens & urls, that is crucial
when I have multiple webhooks running in a doc, I have a table that contains all the tokens and urls per webhook to keep oversight.

The main thing is, that my contribution - although it works well - should be replace by a native coda solution that makes it way easier for makers to have a direct line between docs without the need for shared permissions (which is the case in the embed logic).
cheers, christiaan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.