Custom Shortcuts associated to a button and/or control

Imagine you are creating your own doc with a lot of nifty and handy buttons/control in several sections (imagine buttons like “Add a Task”, “Add a Note”… or “Add Something”)…

Now… imagine you are getting speed in using your Coda Doc with your own workflow… at a certain point you realize:

Wait a sec, but I can be faster if I could use only the keyboard without leving my hands from it (instead of clicking the button here and there)…

did you get the point??? yes… it’s called “shortcuts”…

When we insert a control (button) in the canvas (NB: NOT TABLES, but CANVAS ONLY) would be awesome to associate for each button a custom shortcut (shortcuts should be globals hence a global management among the doc is required) in order to trigger a particular button and, for instance, open a BIG CELL for starting editing…

just some food for toughts for your product managers/backlogs :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I support this idea. It would be handy to have shortcuts.

2 Likes

I was thinking about it today. Power users always prefer keyboard over mouse. I have a quick button to create new tasks on the tasks table, but If I need to access it only through mouse, it becomes a slow process.

Is there a good solution for this? I’m trying to think of the Coda doc as a document, and currently, when writing, I’m referencing stuff with the @-something. Then, for instance I realize that I’m trying to reference a person not yet in my database. On another page I have a button setup to quickly add a person, but this disrupts my flow so much that I end up here on the forum, and hence - reply on this thread :smiley_cat:

Edit: Ok. Calling up formulas (‘=‘) and then hitting the button is way faster