European style dates

I have seen some posts about European date format as a setting for your environment. I think that is absolutely necessary - rather than going into every new date column and ‘fixing’ this. However, I can live with this. But when I use dates in text areas instead of in tables, there seems to be no way to format these dates as European dates - or am I overlooking something? (I hope so). I could write a elaborate formula to take the date apart and show it in bits and pieces as dd/mm/yyyy, but that feels a little backwards. Of course the same applies to times (21:05 vs 09:05PM)

Are european style dates on the roadmap?

2 Likes

Hi @joost_mineur,

For sure you make a good point that it would be much better that the user could choose the date settings like the time zone, but till that time:

1 Like

Hello Jean Pierre,

I am aware of the settings in tables - they work fine (even though I would like to set the default myself or let the zone define the default). The problem is that what you show is not available (to my knowledge) on the canvas and in a lot of situations you can not really use a one column-one row table: for one thing because they can not be used inline and second because that is not what tables are meant for.

I realize coda is a work in progress, so I will wait as long as I can.

Is there a roadmap for features somewhere visible for us users?

Greetings,
Joost

@joost_mineur do you have the elaborate formula you made to take the date apart and redo as dd/mm/yyyy?

I’m trying to utilize dates as text area for ‘last update’ on organization wide documents and templates, however it’s already confusing since we also utilize European date system not the mm/dd/yyyy

Hi @Amy_Spalletta :blush: ! And Welcome to the Community :tada: :grin: !!!

Would something like this help you ? :blush:
(Depending on how you store your “last update” date(s) … this might need adjustments…)

Hello @Amy_Spalletta ,

I use this one all the time - it is pretty compact and does the trick. Replace today() with any other date reference as you see fit.

split(formatdatetime(Today(),7,4),",").first()

This formula is for European date settings (parameter ‘7’) and 24 hr time notation (parameter ‘4’). In the output the time is not shown, because we only use the first() part of the splitted output.

This formula and it variants could be your base for many different notations.

If you store the parameters in a named field (canvas formula) on an (hidden) parameter page, you can change the appearance of all the dates in a document by changing only the one parameter. Let me know if you don’t understand what I am trying to say here and I will make a sample doc for you (next week at the earliest though).

Greetings,
Joost

PS: the posting you are referring to is a year old - the formula used back then was pretty elaborate (with regexreplace), but new insights let to this pretty straightforward solution (with the help of various inputs in another thread in this community)

3 Likes

Creative approach @joost_mineur, thanks for the nice share.

Just one important thing to mention is that the formula formatedatetime() , is as of today still an experimental one!

3 Likes

Where did my reply go? @Jean_Pierre_Traets : you read it this morning and now it is gone. Any idea what might have happened?

2 Likes

Sorry about that. We’ve restored it. Thanks for catching that!

2 Likes

Hi @joost_mineur

Thanks for this reply. Does your offer to make a sample doc for me still exist? I would welcome that.

Best,
A

Hello @Amy_Spalletta ,

Sure, no problem, although a bit limited on time right now.

What would you like to see - I will try to make a small sample page tonight, but with a bit of input on your direct needs I will make sure to address your specific questions.

Greetings,
Joost

Hello @Amy_Spalletta ,

OK - I added a page dedicated to this subject to my samples doc. Make a copy of the doc in order to really see what is going on:

Happy Coding!

4 Likes

@joost_mineur

That saved my bacon, thank you.