Extra newlines after pasting text from OneNote?

Hi folks, over the weekend I was (again) trying to get my wife to move away from OneNote, and finally start using the Coda account I had her create earlier last year.

She wanted me to install OneNote onto her new (Windows) laptop, and once again I had to ask “why not just use Coda, it’s way better?..”

She has a large “Recipies” section and I wanted her to start with that since her pages there are very important to her.

We started simply copy/pasting text and images out of OneNote onto her Coda page.

The paste text and images came in, but we immediately noticed there are extra spaces between the paragraphs?

HOW can she avoid this, without having to go though all of her text on dozens of pages, backspacing though all of those newlines?

I was at the point where told her I was just going to reinstall her OneNote looking at all the additional work… :slightly_frowning_face:

Here at work, today I did similar:

I wouldn’t want to do all that extra work w/my ON documents either!

Is there something that can be configured or done to eliminate the extra newlines coming into Coda? (Again this is on Windows)

Any tips appreciated!

Thanks for reaching out to let us know about this issue. This sounds like it might be related to a known bug the Coda team has identified. That said, we have moved this post to the Suggestion Box: Bugs section of the Community and somebody from the Coda team will be following up with any updates on this issue. Thanks for hanging in there!

Thanks Shaina, I appreciate the Dev’s eyes on this.

My workaround was to copy the text from OneNote, and paste into Windows Notepad, then copy/pasting into Coda…

Still extra steps, but at least it was a faster / workable solution to the issue.

Testing just now, copy/paste from a Word document into Coda looks ok.
(Pasting from OneNote into Word (what I tried first, (to keep the text styling), before notepad looked exactly the same in Word, but still had the dbl-lines when pasted into Coda, as I originally mentioned.

Pasting from OneNote into ahem, that other application, Notion, didn’t have the dbl-newlines issue.

Copying from EverNote into a test Coda page has a similar issue with the newlines:

Hoping this gets resolved soon…

She wanted me to install OneNote onto her new (Windows) laptop, and once again I had to ask “why not just use Coda, it’s way better?..”

cry-laughing internally because this is the story of my life with my family

Anyway.

@devs: This happens with several other apps that I know of, including Word and…IIRC Google Keep? (Sometimes I use Keep as a scratchpad of sorts when on mobile, then when I have a few mins I pull into Coda.)

At least with 365 (Office) products, it seems to be possibly something to do with the internal html that comes with the text.

@William_Bell, if you’re still looking for workarounds, I’ve put some in a doc for you:

(Also, to anyone who does regex work–please feel free to make adjustments to mine in the above doc, as I know it’s extremely sloppy and…essentially defeats the purpose of regex :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

PROPS Amy for your Coda to help w/this! :hearts:

1 Like

Let me know how it goes! :blush: (I’d also be curious to know if you find any other common character patterns)