Filter using a Scale value from another table not working

Hi All,

I am having a problem that I think might be a bug, but would be happy to learn otherwise.

Please see this doc -

My desire is to filter the Tasks table based on the [Settings.Effort] value. The problem is that it only works the first 2 or 3 times you change the [Settings.Effort] value, after which it just stops working. If I then change the [Settings.Effort Comparison] value, it “resets” and will work for another 2 or 3 times.

However, if I use the scale control, it works perfectly.

Why not just use the scale control? Well, because this is just a sample doc to illustrate the problem. In the real doc I have 6 aspects that I am filtering on, and doing it in a table keeps it nice and neat -

I have everything working great, except for the “Effort” filter.

Is it a problem in the formula, or a bug? Note, I have tried many variations on the formula, such as with /without .First(), with/without thisRow etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rohan

The thing is for the first two changes on the scale the cell value is immediately updated. After that it only updates when you unfocus the cell. Probably a measure to prevent spamming the request queue.

Hi @Dalmo_Mendonca,

Thanks for your reply. That’s an interesting pick up, thanks. I still think it’s a bug, because it’s only a problem in the table - the scale control in the doc works as expected. Also, I remember seeing coda’s own samples showing changing a slider and having a table update automatically. Just to note, I have also tested this now with a slider control and it does exactly the same behaviour.

Thanks for having a look at it!

Cheers,

Rohan

Hi @Coda,

I’ve moved this to the Suggestion Box\Bugs category as it does seem to be a bug, given that what I am trying to do works perfectly when referencing a scale control in the doc, rather than the one in the table (and all my other filter formulas work fine as well).

I have also tested with a slider control in the table and have exactly the same issue - it works once or twice and then just stops, and just as with the scale control, if I use a slider control in the doc, it all works perfectly.

Thanks,

Rohan

@Rohan_M @mallika

I spent several hours looking into this yesterday. It was the buggiest few hours I’ve ever spent on Coda! Every time I tried to isolate a variable, a new buggy behavior would pop up – it went far beyond scale controls failing to update, and seemed to affect almost everything tied into either the scale field or the filter formula. I thought I saw live updates to the filter UI being pushed out as I was working, which made me think the team was aware of the problem and working on a fix. My day got away from me after that and I didn’t do much work in Coda yesterday, so I haven’t returned to it since. It was a NASTY situation and I hope none of my projects are being affected by it!!

1 Like

Hi @Ander, thanks so much for looking at this and your reply. On the one hand I’m kind of glad it wasn’t something simple that I was overlooking, but on the otherhand that probably would be better than it being a series of bugs! Thanks for your effort in confirming there is an issue.

Cheers,

Rohan

1 Like

Thank you for posting a detailed walk-thru @Rohan_M!

I’ve added this to our internal tracker so we can investigate.

3 Likes

Thanks @BenLee :+1: :slightly_smiling_face: