Gmail pack and risks of having all emails originate from same sender

Hi!

I have a Coda document with a button that is using the Gmail pack to send emails. Regardless of who uses this document, I would like all emails to originate from me (i.e., I am the “sender”). In the process of setting this up, there is a message that states “Everyone will be able to view data and take actions in Gmail using this account. Everyone this doc is shared with will be able to use this account to view data and take actions.”

What exactly does this message mean? What are the risks and exposure of my proceeding with having the emails all originate from me?

Thank you,
Patricia

Gmail Setup Message

Hi Patricia,

"Everyone this doc is shared with will be able to use this account to view data and take actions.”

What exactly does this message mean?

This functionality is covered when you get into the configuration for this Pack. In terms of exactly what this means, it’s outlined below.

Gmail - Send Email or Create Draft

Using the Send Email or Create Draft Gmail buttons allow you to use Coda as a jumping off point for your communications. To set up a Gmail button, use the following settings:

• Name - Choose a name for your button that you’ll use to reference it in your doc
  • Label - What you would like the button to look like (e.g. “Send email to team”)
  • Action - Gmail: Send email
  • Account - Which of your emails accounts you would like to use to send the email
  • To - The email address or alias that Coda should send the message to
  • Subject - What the subject line of the email should say
  • Content - You can type a message or even use the = to create a dynamic message. (e.g., =[Table with Updates Name].Filter(Status!=Done) )
  • CC, BCC - If there are other addresses to include, add them here. Note, these are optional fields
  • From, Reply To - Here you can update the email addresses that should appear in the From field, and where people can reply to the email

The only difference between the Send Email and Create Draft button is whether or not Coda sends the mail on your behalf. If you choose Create Draft, you’ll see it in your Drafts folder where you can further customize or double check your work.

https://help.coda.io/en/articles/2421452-buttons-and-packs#gmail---send-email-or-create-draft

To clarify they don’t have access to your inbox but they may send email as if they were you, so the caveat is there for this reason.

What are the risks and exposure of my proceeding with having the emails all originate from me?

I would like all emails to originate from me (i.e., I am the “sender”).

This is an organisational issue. You’re the only one that can answer regarding risks and exposure.

It seems you are okay with anyone in your organisation with access to the coda doc sending email as you. so the risk is presumably minimal.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, @Art_Soul.

I will clarify my question. In the message, what does “view data” and “take actions” mean? For the account specified, which data can others view? What actions can others take?

The message seems generic yet ominous.

Thanks,
Patricia