How can I duplicate a layout?

Did not find a way to duplicate a layout, thanks for your help

1 Like

@ainabivi

I never use this, but just tested it and it works. It can be used to duplicate Layouts on different Views of the same Table, but I didn’t see anything about duplicating Layouts across different Tables. This is a screenshot of a row pop-up modal (Ctrl+Shift+Space):

1 Like

You can’t duplicate just layout to use it on different table - as @Ander mentioned you can reuse layout on different views of same table.

Thanks – I wanted to reuse a nice layout for another table, so this means I have to rebuild it from scratch, correct?

Or you can “Duplicate Table” and then get rid of the data (duplicating table does duplicate the layout)

This seems solved now, copy paste, paste options -> now rows

But how do you duplicate a Layout in the same Table. Clicking “+ New Layout”, as shown above, only creates a brand new Layout with no apparent rhyme-or-reason as to the Column layout. Surely there must be a way to duplicate an existing Layout, in the same Table?!

Edit 2020-10-15T12:55:00Z :

I’m “hidding” my answer as I was wrong (sorry :innocent: ) and it shouldn’t be tried as it leads to errors :bug: !

For more info :

The very wrong answer !

Hi there :grin: !

What Ander did, few post above, was to create a view of the same table and create a new layout while being on that view.
Then, you can delete the view and you should be able to reuse the kind-of-duplicate new layout you’ve just created and apply it to your table :sweat_smile: !

No sure this is very clear :sweat_smile: .

As far as I know, this is actually the only way to get some kind of duplicated layout.

I know the pain, and yeah, unfortunately there’s no way to duplicate a layout.
All the work you’ve done to set up columns and fields nicely, you’ll have to do again if you need a layout just like that with some minor tweaks.

3 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation, @Paul_Danyliuk. I also rec’d confirmation from Coda Support…But they say it’s a highly requested feature and is in the pipeline.

Hey all, sorry for the late update here. I believe this launched sometime in late 2020, although the option is pretty hidden. You can now duplicate layouts using the shishkabob menu in the Edit layout menu. Here’s a GIF of where to find this since, admittedly, it’s very hidden-- I’ll work on getting documentation on this available via our Help Center soon.

6 Likes

Woooo Hooooo!!! And thanks to @Lena_Webster for emailing me directly back on Jan. 25th about this new feature!!