Include draw.io as a Design embed

www.draw.io is a truly versatile diagramming tool that can conceptualize all kinds of diagrams (from software development to business strategy to anything). This could enrich any section in Coda, and make it even more versatile than it already is.

I see that Coda does support Figma, Framer and Invision for their design embed, but these are so UI/prortotype-oriented that they barely serve any other design purpose.

Hopefully one of Coda’s developers gets to analyze it, because draw.io really is very developer friendly and supports many easy ways to integrate/embed, even with simple url parameters. Actually, using the current =Embed() formula, you can display quite nicely on Coda, but it’s not a two way integration where you can modify your diagram and save it back to Coda (which is very easy using simple js callbacks provided by draw.io) .

I saw that Quip does support it. But then again, Quip sucks in every other aspect. So I really hope to see this in Coda.

22 Likes

I second this. I do a lot of flows and draw.io is a good tool to just make and reiterate on them. To be able to have these in my Coda docs and be able to go back and forth would be awesome!

4 Likes

I third this. All-in-one business document tools like Coda are amazing and so close to being everything I dream of. A halfway decent drawing editor integrated into the document world go a long way.

3 Likes

Add my upvote to the pile, I use draw.io extensively as well.

2 Likes

I need this! :grinning:

2 Likes

I wonder: is it possible to build a canvas-like space in sections for including any embeddable content capable of being edited inside the embedded space?

2 Likes

Maybe this something like this can work for ya’ folks.

Using the formula “Embed(“yourlink”, force:true)”, you can make the URL open directly in coda.
I use this with Plectica by the way, and works very nice as canvas.

This formula can make really interesting things to your docs.

7 Likes

I tried to do the same with mindmeister… and the problem was that somehow embedded contect didn’t update

Is the same with Notion.

Some sites do not allow that you embed they on Coda that way.
But i can embed Coda in Notion.

That is kind funny uAHuAH

I can verify that Embed(url, force: true) method mentioned above DOES WORK with the Publish link from a draw.io document. It will update when the Coda doc is refreshed in the browser.

2 Likes

A helpful trick is to place the embedded draw.io diagram inside a collapsible header. This allows to you open and close the section to refresh the diagram without having to refresh the whole document. It’s also a great way to stack multiple diagrams in a document without reducing performance. A classic use case for this would be enterprise/business/process architecture.

3 Likes

The “Embed(“yourlink”, force:true)” thing works on coda but problem is you can’t control the height and width of your diagram beyond a certain point. Same is if you publish your diagram as an image. Even with page alignment set to wide, there’s just no way to publish wider diagrams.

1 Like

Hey folks, curious about the current state of drawio embeds. I’ve been trying a few approaches and the suggestion to use Embed(url, force:true), with drawio’s File → Publish → Link… url seems to work best. However,

I’m not seeing this happen, and from what I understand from drawio’s docs, it wouldn’t be expected:

Note: The diagram data is embedded in the URL you just created - your diagram is not hosted anywhere. This link is therefore always valid, and you can’t revokeaccess to your diagram.

Has anyone had luck with a solution that does either of these?

• Updates automatically when the source diagram is updated (e.g. maybe from a Dropbox/Drive file)?
  • Allows editing in the Coda embed that is saved back to the drawio source?
1 Like

Did you learn something more; new here?