Keeping formatting within formulas

Hello,

I’m trying to keep conditional formatting between two tables. It’s a big table with a lot of information, so hopefully I can display what’s going on through some images.

I’ve got this table below with this column that has formatting
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.52.26 PM

When I pull it into my next table, it loses the formatting.
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.52.45 PM

I’m using the formula:
[DICT - Goal Date Audit Log].Filter([Project Title]=thisRow).[Goal Delivery Date].BulletedList()

Hi Chase,

We have added a feature where lookup values can inherit conditional formatting, but we don’t have the ability for values pulled in from a formula to inherit the styling.

More about inherited conditional formatting here:

I originally had the concatenation on the table itself, but that also didn’t inherit the formatting.

This is for lookup values, other items in formulas won’t be able to inherit styling. When you pull in values and use a formula like Concanate() or BulletedList() you’ll lose formatting. It won’t carry through.

@Chase_Schwalbach Conditional formatting is applied at text drawing time, not at cell value level (actually it’s a bit more complicated than that, but let’s simplify as that). So the value in the cell is stored without any conditional formatting, and that’s what you get when you pull it in by formula.

There’s currently no other way to achieve what you need other than manually apply some hidden formulas like _Color() and/or _Strikethrough() to your individual values, e.g.

[DICT - Goal Date Audit Log].Filter([Project Title]=thisRow).FormulaMap(
  If(
    CurrentValue.[Deadline expired],
    _Color("kr-red-dark-fg kr-line-through", CurrentValue.[Goal Delivery Date]),
    CurrentValue.[Goal Delivery Date]
  )
).BulletedList()

More about the _Color() function: here and here.

If you actually manually format text in the cells, e.g. by applying bold, color, highlight etc to pieces of text via the toolbar buttons, not conditional formatting — then it’s stored within the cell value, and you can Concatenate() and do whatever you want with it with no problem. Same for referencing values that are formulas containing these hidden formatting functions. It’s only conditional formatting that’s not stored in the value itself.

2 Likes