Whether you’re managing a confidential project or building a repository of helpful information for your entire company, the ability to confidently share your doc with the right audience, at the right time, is crucial. With Coda, you’re able to share a doc with an individual person, a group of people who have access to a folder, all members of your workspace, or even publish docs to be discovered by the whole world.
With so many options, we heard your feedback that it can be a bit confusing to understand who has access to which docs, and so we’ve updated the interface for sharing docs to remove any doubt and ambiguity.
Here’s what you can expect to see when you share your docs, starting today:
Confirm and manage access all in one screen.
No more having to toggle between menus in the share dialog, or between your workspace, folders, and docs to see who has access. Now, when you click “Share” in Coda, you’ll see everyone who has access to your doc — whether you’ve shared it with them directly, or they have access by being a member of your domain or folder.
Help new invitees start in the right spot.
Previously, any time you shared a doc with an individual, the only option was for them to land on the first page of the doc. Now, you can choose between the “current page” (that is, the page you’re viewing when you click “Share”) or the first page of your doc. Drop your collaborators directly into the most appropriate starting point.
Note: This does not enable sharing only a specific page or pages within a doc, though we’ve heard this request loud and clear (and would still love your feedback on scenarios where you’d need such a feature!)
A new home for advanced settings.
In order to make the sharing screen clearer and less cluttered, your advanced settings have moved one click away, behind the slider icon next to the “x” you would click to dismiss the sharing settings screen. Click this icon to choose from the following options
- Allow anyone who can edit to change permissions and share.
- Allow anyone to copy this doc.
- Share with Coda support.
And few more helpful updates.
- We’ve made it more clear that you can share your doc to new contacts who might not already be a part of your Coda workspace.
- When inviting individual users, we let you edit the message they’ll see in their inbox if you choose to notify them (and gave you a running start with some pre-filled message options).
- When you “Copy Link” to share your doc, we show a helpful reminder to update your doc’s share settings before distributing its link.