I suspect this is an easy one for the more experienced folk here… but I’ve scratched my head on it a fair bit today without coming up with an answer.
I’ve got a button in a table essentially just adding a new row to another table with small bits of data. And I noticed that in this table, one of the columns had two different types of - er - format (?) for the same data when displaying it, even though in the original table, all the data looks the same.
A picture tells 1000 words.
Here’s the data in the new table put there by the “add row” button action.
In it, columns 1 & 2 are added by the button. Column 3 is just a formula looking up the parent table using the first column ID
Now - notice the light blue job number/names. And some are even from the same project (so the data is coming from the same master project table at some point!).
I made the third column in the hope of figuring out what was going on - and noticed the square brackets in the data. What does this mean? I’m hoping it might help me track down why theres two different forms for the same data.
I suspect its a case of some data being placed by a button, but also being editable. Or some such thing. Its a fairly complex set of tables (for me at least) and tracing how its happened is tricky. I can’t replicate it with dummy data - or at least, haven’t managed to yet!
So here’s the table the data is pulled from (coming from bookings)
Which is itself coming from tasks
Which is coming from projects (created with a button!)
Looking through everything now, I think there is a better way of doing things, which is just using job numbers as the main identifying piece of data, and using referenced columns if I need to get the job name etc.
This is what happen when documents are made over time - and when you’re USING the docs as you’re making them. Eek