Organizing Docs

I have been using Notion extensively and am just getting into Coda. I have created a few documents and it looks like this could be messy, very quickly. :slight_smile:

Is there a way to organize my documents into folders? For example, I would like to be able to create a Clients folder with subfolders for documents created for each client.

4 Likes

@Garland_Coulson_Captain_Time Welcome to Coda!!! :grin: Moriah here, I’m a software engineer on the team here.

This is a GREAT point and feedback we’ve heard from a bunch of folks – so you’re definitely alone. We’ve had some great conversations at Coda about when we might be able to incorporate some deeper sub-folder structures in docs, so no promises on timing but keep an eye out because it is on our radar. :eyes:

In the meantime, hopefully you have discovered that for now you can create at least one level of folders in any Coda doc: to make a folder, click “+ New” at the bottom of your sections list and then select “folder.” From there you can drag existing doc sections into your folders or add new ones.

Hope this tides you over for now until we have even more folder organization available for you! Keep the feedback and questions coming, we love hearing from you.

Moriah

@Garland_Coulson_Captain_Time I’m rereading your question, and realized you may actually be asking about folders in your doc list, whereas I was replying about additional sub-folders for sections inside a single doc. We actually will be releasing something soon that’s actively in development which will allow you to add more organization into your overall doc list. :smile: We’ll make sure to give you a heads up when that’s available, as well.

In the meantime on that front, you do have the ability to organize your Coda docs on Google Drive. All your docs are saved with Coda, but you can see them with your other files on Google Drive for easy organization, place them in folders with other Google Drive files, and organize them that way. We know it’d be great to have all your Coda docs organized in one space here, though, we we’re working on some ways to do that too. :partying_face:

Would love to get some feedback from you (and others) on what kinds of folder/doc organization you’d be most excited for, and how you’d like to use it! Just wanted to re-reply here and make sure I covered both possibilities for your question…
Moriah

It seems odd that there is no way to organize documents within Coda without using an outside source. It definitely impacts the usefulness as I am sure I would grow to over 100 documents quickly if I start using Coda as much as I have been using Notion.

I am not using Google Docs so that is not a help.

1 Like

Agreed. I currently have a 127 docs (more by the day!) and it’s not easy to find things. I’m sure there are lots of people with way more than I have. Looking forward to seeing what the Codans come up with! :slight_smile:

P.S. I would love to embed Coda docs within Notion but sadly that doesn’t work due to the Chrome requirement. :frowning:

3 Likes

Coda has so much potential for my team, but this one limitation will stop me from implementing Coda in my business. We have a lot of existing documents that can’t be merged into one big document because of permissions and security. So then we end up with one parent folder with dozens and dozens of documents below it and no way of organizing them. Or dozens or parent folders on similar topics. As much as I’ve been resisting, this will push me towards Notion as our go-to product :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi @Ben_Prewett,

What type of solution would do you see your team finding the most beneficial? Is it nested folders or better search or a different strategy all together?

Hi @BenLee

You hit the 2 big ones for me and my team. Top priority for us would be nested folders so we can structure our information in a flexible way while having some granularity on granting permissions. Next priority would be better search. We can get by searching via google drive for the short to medium term but I’d want to know that we’ll be able to keyword search from within Coda eventually.

Cheers,
Ben

3 Likes

Hi @Tucker_Webb,

Thank you for the write-up of why this feature is important and for posting your use-case scenario. This is a feature that is in our internal tracker and being researched, but I can’t say if this will be a solution that we go with or not. We’re not at that point yet.

Coda is constantly improving and we’re constantly adding new features.

Personally, I created a Coda doc to track the documents I use most and it’s been very helpful. I can organize them in a way that makes sense to me…completely custom. This might be an option if you’re up for entertaining new ideas in the interim.

Ben

Ben,

Can you share the document you’ve created? With any sort of application with such vast capability (such as Coda), seeing more and more ways to leverage the technology is highly valuabe.

Hope you don’t mind me asking!

-Ben (too!)

Is it me or has this functionality been removed? When I’m in an Example Doc the “+” button only shows “+ New Page”, there’s no ability to add a Folder?

1 Like

Hi @Benjamin_Gross,

And welcome to the community!

Here’s an example of one way I organize docs that I have to track. There are many ways you can build this out, like adding a column for category or customer too.

For you question on the plus button, that was removed when we added the / command. If you type / anywhere in the canvas, you’ll be prompted with a menu of items that you can add.

I have this question as well.

I’ve seen sort of a group or folder view in some of Coda’s videos but I don’t know how to create those headers.

1 Like

Hi @Nikil_Ragav,

That is a table and those are the column headers. Anytime you add a table, you should be able to click those to edit them.

No, I’m not asking about the table (i should have cropped my screenshot lol). I mean on the left with the pages there are pages grouped under some ALL CAPS TEXT

ACTIVE DEAL VIEWS
REPORTS
etc.

How do you get that?

I know how to nest a page within a page but this is different @BenLee

This is the old Coda UI where you couldn’t nest pages. It had a two-level structure: “folders” (those ACTIVE DEAL VIEWS, REPORTS etc) and “sections” (now named pages). And judging from the fact that sections don’t have icons, that’s the late 2019 – mid 2020 Coda.

Now just use pages for that. I still keep the 2-level structure in most of my docs, for example.

Ok Perfect thank you! I was wondering if there was another related feature that I had not found.

I think I started using Coda on and off in May 2020 so I guess it had already changed before then.

Yeah, lots of updates since then. Coda Product Updates

Some people feel more comfort having “folders” in which case I recommend just using a folder icon for the top level pages. It can be the same function with a few more features.

It was way better the previous experience where you see nested folders on the left : ( Now you need to open every single folder on the left to see what inside, quite bad…