Set permissions in document

I would like to be able to set Permissions INSIDE my document at a Folder level, so I can be sure the raw documents and tables can’t be edited.

12 Likes

It looks like they are working on this feature…

3 Likes

I will be very interested to see what the Coda team comes up with here.

Key things I am hoping for:

• Sharing setting that limits the user’s edit rights to only adding or modifying table rows, interacting with controls, and clicking buttons, i.e. no editing of column settings, no adding or deleting tables, no editing the document outside the tables. Ideally this setting could be applied on a section-by-section basis, but realistically if you want to give people a blank canvas for particular purposes you could also just give them a link to a separate doc without the above restrictions.

• Disabling editing of individual columns, based on a formula condition (kind of like the way you can disable buttons now). It’s already trivial to build basic user management functions inside a doc, using the User() function, e.g. assigning and then referencing user roles and groups - the issue at the moment is that any user with edit rights can change any user management functions you build.

• Similar to the above, disabling edit of particular rows using something analagous to a filter condition, i.e. as well as setting a filter for which rows are displayed, you can also set a filter for which rows are editable (again, one could drive this with the User() function, referencing another table that records user roles and groups)

• Ability to hide sections from users (again, preferably based on a formula condition), without affecting the ability of the document owner to surface data from hidden tables into other views/tables in other sections that are still visible to users.

• Ability to turn off the right for particular users to copy a doc, even if they have edit rights. Currently granting edit rights also gives users the right to copy the doc.

Not being a software engineer I have no idea what the performance implications or implementation difficulty of those features would be, but I could imagine building some pretty amazing docs and apps if we do get those features. The combination of features above would give Makers maximum creativity :blush:

21 Likes

This is perfect and essential

I suggest giving the doc maker ability to create different categories of sharing profiles.
Permissions will be set within each category to determine what users can do.

When sharing a doc to users, the appropriate category is assigned to each user and their rights will automatically derive from the assigned category.

Great list showing some suggestions for permissions, I second this. Also not a software engineer, but eager to use Coda for a “True North” project manager for my team, even though you guys at times have said that is not one of the goals for Coda. Nevertheless, you have created such a flexible and high quality tool that I’ve found nothing else out there that would meet this need as well as Coda. So my “app” from my “doc” is basically something to serve as all apps that my team would need, if my plan works.

Thanks and big +1 for all of these!

+1 for many of the capabilities in @Tim_Sherman’s post. The use case I’m thinking about is K12. I’ve reviewed dozens of tools and there is currently no tool that enables a teacher to create an activity manager for students. I envision that the student view is locked down with only edit access to specific checkbox and text fields. All of the design capabilities would be locked.

It would also be nice to be able to control the views that students can switch between. For example a weekly calendar (next week, this week, last week), a two-week calendar, a monthly calendar, a kanban board and a list/table view.

1 Like

I second (+++) this request. I want to share with my team and have them add or edit rows in a table, but not delete rows and definitely not delete the whole table! That would be devastating.

• mary

PS. Is there a way to back up the whole thing?