Shared Pack source code helps build more effective solutions and a stronger maker community

Would be good for there to be a “repository url” on the listing details that we can edit and link to our github repo urls, so open-source CLI packs can get a bit of the same visual treatment. If the URL points directly to a github file, then it could render that in the source page. If it points to a repo, then rendering the readme may be the way to go. Both with a header that links to the github repo.

3 Likes

+1

Although probably not feasible to publish the source code of all Coda-built packs, it would be nice to have a showcase of some official packs with available source code. There are already a few in the Packs SDK reference, maybe just making those into actual packs

3 Likes

I believe this is a fair point - making their packs open source – to a point. Skip the roadmap; just do it. :wink:

And by “do it” I mean, “if appropriate”.

In Coda’s Packs I suspect…

• There are techniques, possible internal methods, and a variety of other clever design patterns that are worthy of IP protection.
  • Coda’s competitive posture may depend on a little secrecy involving some of its own Packs.
  • Open-source is not without liability concerning support, documentation, and additional maintenance effort.

For every line of code that a firm open-sources, there’s a cost and generally that cost is a distraction from other more important platform work. Open-source is a lot like unfunded pension obligations; it’s debt which is not unlike technical debt.

Just sayin’ …

2 Likes