Timeline Not Recognizing Start Date Column

I’m having an issue where my start date column is not being recognized by the timeline. The column is set as a “Date” type. The only thing I can think of that might be causing an issue is that the date is set by a formula. If I delete the formula and manually set the dates, the timeline works as expected.

Any thoughts?

Max

Hi Max,

For teh Timeline view to work, their must be a start, but also either a duration or an end?

Do you have one of the latter two in your view?

Regards
Piet

Hi Piet,

Yes, I do have an end date column that is referenced to the timeline. That is also set by a formula. When I manually set the start dates (no formula) it worked even with the end date formula. Perhaps the double formula is messing with it?

Appreciate the help!

Max

Hi @Max_Cheney :blush: !

A thing I can think of if you gather your dates through formula is that your formula might return you a list of dates and not a date :innocent:

There are small “hint icons” Coda displays to tell you if it’s a list values or a value :blush:
It could also potentially come from some data types mix-up somewhere :thinking:

Could you post the screenshot of the formulas you use :blush:
This might help a little :blush:

Edit: I’m currently AFK and just thinking out loud here… So I could be completely wrong too :innocent:

I too am a fan of thinking out loud! :grin:

If(
thisRow.Priority=1,
Today() ,
thisTable.Filter(Priority=thisRow.Priority-1).[Est Done]
)

Priority is an index of the rows in their visual order. The basic goal of the formula is to set the start date of any given row to the end date of the row above.

Edit: Realized after I posted this that the End Date (Est Done) formula might be helpful as well!

Workday(thisRow.[Est Start],thisRow.[Est Days to Comp] )

I’m adding a duration (in Workdays) onto the start date pulled from another column (Est Days to Comp).

Thanks!

Max

1 Like

Ahahah :smile:

This part might be the problem :blush:
Filter() tends to return a list of rows (which can be a list of 1 row too , it doesn’t matter, it’s still a list)

Instead of this, could you try and replace the else part of your If() by :

thisTable.Filter(Priority=thisRow.Priority-1).First().[Est Done]

And see if it helps :blush:
First()is there to isolate the row in the list of rows Filter() returns :blush:

2 Likes

That did it! I don’t totally understand why or how, but let me stare at it and murmur to myself for 45 minutes and I’ll figure it out :rofl:

1 Like

Ahahah :joy: !

More seriously, I really glad to know it helped :grin: !
But being away, I’m just sorry I can’t help you further to understand why and how at the moment :wink: .

Oh, no need to apologize! I think I got it!

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like Filter( ) is returning what I guess would be considered a string, whereas First( ) is returning the actual value which in this case is formatted as a date.

Again, appreciate the help!

Not exactly :innocent: : Filter() returns a list of rows from the table you wish to filter…
In this case, it was probably returning what would be a list containing only one row… which is still a list though :blush: .

To get Filter() to return the actual row you’re looking for, you can use .First() to isolate the row from the list of one row :blush: .

So, in your If() formula, this part

thisTable.Filter(Priority=thisRow.Priority-1).[Est Done]

… returns probably a list of one row (which doesn’t play well with the timeline)

Whereas this :

thisTable.Filter(Priority=thisRow.Priority-1).First().[Est Done]

actually returns a row :innocent: (which is what the timeline needs)

1 Like

Ok, now I got it! :grin:

It’s definitely confused by the fact that the filter is returning a list of one, but that makes sense!

I appreciate your patience!

1 Like

No problem @Max_Cheney :wink: !
Always glad to help when I can :grin: !

HI Max,

Maria has just reshared a link to Coda training materials, including a link to this which explains the types of data that Coda works with, as well as the little icons that represent them.

I regularly find that I have ignored these cues, to my own pain.

Regards
Piet

2 Likes

Added to my watch list! Thanks for the recommendation!

Max

I was a bit annoyed that I couldn’t show you those visuals cues in my previous reply so I prepared a small sample (which you’ll find below :innocent: ) and took some screenshots while building it …
But, of course, I couldn’t get back here earlier :sweat_smile:

In the sample, you’ll find 4 Filter() formulas on the canvas and their result… and a small table simply used to store some datas I could filter :blush:

When you write a formula, as you’ve probably seen this yourself, Coda always let you preview the result you’re going to get… But it also tells you what type of data that result actually is by showing you a very small icon at the far right of the result :blush:
You can always hover the icon with your mouse if you have a doubt about its signification :blush: .

So, here’s a screenshot of my 1st Filter() formula :blush:
I’m just looking for a row where the value in my field Order = 1.
But what I get without using First(), as shown by the small icon, is a list of rows … and as there’s only one row in my table where Order = 1, my result is in fact a list of one row :blush:

Now, in my 2nd Filter() formula, I used the same exact formula but added .First() to finally get the row I was looking for in the first place :blush:

Look at how the small icon changed :blush: : In the previous screenshot, it looked “multiplied” but here, it’s a simple “row icon” :blush:

As you were trying to get a date, I did so too in my 3rd and 4th Filter() formulas.

In the 3rd one, I didn’t use First() and here, I got even more visual cues :blush:

The one standing at the far right of the result, like previously… but also within the formula… as Coda also tells you what is this data type of what you use in the formula with icons… And if you click on it, the formula editor will give you more info about it. Which is what I did here by simply clicking on Date where the icon seems “multiplied” too :blush:

And last but not least, here’s the 4th Filter() formula where I used First() to isolate the appropriate row from the list of one row I was getting to actually access the date in that row :blush: .

The icons also changed here going from a “multiplied” calendar to a simple one :blush:.

That’s it :blush: !

I know those icons are not always that visible but they’re really useful :blush:

(Note that the sample will probably look a little bit better if opened in his own tab’ :innocent: )

7 Likes

Pch,

my applause on such a wonderful set of replies. clear explaination and then, a set of images showing the (admittedly tiny) clues that we all must look for.

THIS is what makes this community such JOY to belong to; such a spirit of support and encouragement.

well done indeed, take a bow!

max

4 Likes

When pch explained something, it STAYS explained. :wink:

1 Like

What an absolutely phenomenal explanation! Thank you so much Pch!

I’m admittedly looking at that icon every single time now :laughing:

2 Likes

Holy Sardine !!! :relaxed:

@Xyzor_Max , @Piet_Strydom and @Max_Cheney : Thank You :relaxed: !
This is all much more than appreciated :raised_hands: ! (way more than I could tell :relaxed: )

I can only agree here :raised_hands: !

That’s a great reflex to have :wink: !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.