Launched: More insights & controls for Coda Admins [ENTERPRISE]

It’s been a year since we launched Coda 2.0 so teams could make, share, and evolve their processes and rituals. Along the way, we’ve learned from our IT partners about the intricacies of scaling the team tool stack securely. Those conversations helped us realized there were more ways to make Coda simpler, cleaner, and faster for these admins, who we oftentimes refer to as the “architects of the new office.”

That’s why I’m excited to announce two new features today: the Coda Admin Dashboard and Packs Approvals.

Coda Admin Dashboard

Like many of our favorite dashboards at Coda, we designed the Coda Admin Dashboard as a doc! If you’re an organization admin on the Enterprise plan, you can access your customized doc to see how your team is using Coda. You can also sort and filter users by role or usage, as well as bulk-upgrade (or downgrade) from one table. And because the data lives in a doc, admins have a unified surface to see, analyze, and visualize their data to make data-driven decisions quickly.

To get started, check your inbox! Your dedicated Customer Success Manager should have reached out to schedule your VIP onboarding. If you’re not yet on our Enterprise plan and would like to learn more about the Coda admin experience, let us know.

Packs Approvals

It takes a lot of tools to keep a team running smoothly and securely. It’s why we built Packs, integrations that can be customized, to ensure we’ll always play nicely with your other apps. Both not all tools are made equal and some may not meet your rigorous security standards just yet.

With Packs Approvals, organization admins can now enable or disable specific Packs for all users. Team members can then request access for Packs. Admins can view and manage all Pack requests from their organization settings. You can learn more here.

Insights with control

The doc is your new office so it has to be one you can trust. We hope that these new features, alongside our other security measures like SOC 2 and GDPR compliance, meet the challenges of helping your team scale securely. If you’d like to get a running start, reach out to your dedicated CSM for a VIP onboarding of the admin dashboard. And if you’re interested in learning more about the Enterprise plan’s admin experience, reach out here to get a demo.

31 Likes

SOOO handy to have the ability to invoke Coda Admin API functionality through a pack.
I am trying to better leverage IAM capabilities from our Microsoft Entra AIM, specifically, using groups to manage access to certain resources on Coda. Here is one problem I am trying to solve:

1. Let’ say I have 4 groups: Managers, Admins, Project A team, Project B team (I know, I am using roles and projects which should be user attributes)
  2. I would like to give edit access to all Managers of Project A team to Project A’s Coda doc, and view Access to all Project A’s Admins.
  3. Possible solutions:
    3a. I could start multiplying the number of groups by creating all permutations, or
    3b. I could use boolean logic to define access, which is impractical as the number of combinations to maintain manually increase pretty quickly (what if I have now VPs, Project Managers, Project controllers, Admins and 40 projects… that’d be 4 roles per 40 projects = 160 groups!), I could use in Entra security attributes to users and create dynamic groups based on these attributes, but that’s even more work now: assign multiple attributes to each user, create each dynamic group based on those attributes, etc…
  4. Problem: I understand access to docs on Coda are always an “OR”: if I add Managers to Project A, all Managers (including those on Project that are not Project A get added). If I add Project A team I get everyone in that project (irrespective of whether they are managers or admins) added to the doc with the same permission. WHat I need is an “AND” for membership in both teams (in Managers AND in Project A team, so I can get the managers in Project A).
  5. Possible workaround: I can manage what users can see and do on Coda itself with locking and filters, as long as I can see who belongs to each group: I provide edit access to all Project A team members, and depending on whether theyr are found on the Managers or Admins group, I can define a lot of what they can see or do on Coda itself (not exactly the same as an edit/comment/view document but close enough for my purposes)

ASK for the CODA team: could you please include in the Coda Admin Pack tables that list the users who are members of a given group? Coda API provides that functionality - our team eventually will be able to create a pack to do that, but I believe it would be such a great addition to the Admin Pack’s functionality!