New pack - Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp

Adding Messenger to automatically send message through to my athletes would be fantastic.

2 Likes

I fully support this idea. I would love a Whatsapp pack to send reminders to my colleagues when they need to start a task.

Hi @Maarten_V and welcome to this community!

While I’m a fan of integrations, I believe that Coda is primarily a business tool.
Connectors (aka Packs) with messaging systems and/or other platforms should firstly address working operations. This is why Slack Pack (https://coda.io/packs/slack) has been introduced among the first ones.

I guess WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger (Telegram, etc…) are more on the private/personal contexts.
Maybe Microsoft Team could help in that direction.

In a roadmap of integrations (stil unknown, though…), I’expect personal messaging would come a bit later.
Anyway: let’s see if Codans could say something about this!

2 Likes

You can set up integration with Messenger through Zapier:

Just have a table for outgoing messages where you’ll add rows with the info to send out (text / to whom) and set up Zapier to listen on it. You’ll be fine with the free Zapier plan, since only a 2-step zap is required (when row added -> send message)

3 Likes

This Facebook Messenger integration is only for business pages, and there’s no Zapier integration yet for Whatsapp

As a workaround, I’d suggest you use Flock (it’s like slack, but the interface is closer to Facebook Messenger/Whatsapp). You can customize actions with Flock and connect them to Coda through Zapier

Hi @Federico_Stefanato :slight_smile:
I’ll write you there because i’m part of the non-business users of coda (meaning that i use coda to build app that are not managing / business / products-management)
For my complex needs of integrating big dataset with custom algorithms for mixing and analyzing data, no other platform comparable to coda exist (apart from excel, we all know why is it not a feasible offer if we are here)
And thats great for me :slight_smile: But i “feel” that too much of coda (as seen as packs and new features) is business-oriented, and that create a lack of space for improvements of more general uses.
I’d love telegram integration on coda (whatsapp sucks like facebook, just do not use it!), it could allow me to have more person to person interactions, instead of a business to client one’s, and it could allow other users to better connect between normal people (i imagine thousand of docs in the gallery that could use this concept to better connect users), or to use telegram as an “e-mail alternative” to notify users!
I’d like to see more community maker’s integrations in the next future, and with less frequency business managing-related power up :slight_smile:

I’m really curious to see the coda roadmap anyway :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @Mario,
please, sorry fo my late reply: the pandemic effect is currently drifting me away from this community, but I wish I’ll be back soon to contribute more.

I see what you mean and I second you.
On one hand, I understand the goal of Coda: it will become a more attractive tool if responds to well defined business needs.
On the other hand, those boundaries are delaying some interesting and effective paths towards solutions that nowadays - simply - don’t exist.

In terms of concrete actions, I hope that opening Packs integration API will can open-sourced sooner than later. I already asked if there is a roadmap about this, but people at Coda - even with “Community Champions” :smile: - they tend to be vague. I understand, though.

Anyway, if you believe that I can support and help you to with this vision, I’d be happy: just tell me how I can be helpful.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Best
federico

1 Like

Hi @Federico_Stefanato
The idea of giving the possibility to the community to create his own packs will take coda into another level, but i can imagine that it’s not an easy to develop feature…
Also continue developing packs for a portion of the users is in some ways counterproductive (at least for an innovative product like coda, where know uses represent a fraction of the world of possibilities).

I’m really attached to coda anyway, i often “think on coda” when i have to deal with organizing things, it’s part of my tools, and i’m happy with what i’ve got till now also in this development phase

I totally agree with your xmas list btw, i’ve found it now

A public Roadmap will help us Making (and planning and developing) more consciously our doc’s, if we do not know what’s gonna happen in the near future, it’s like using hidden formulas! (to use a technical slang :grin:)
You’ll never know and you can’t be well prepared for the future
Also charts…we need new charts! :star_struck: (someone said radar?)

If you too believe that coda have a multitude of “less-popular” uses, we could start a new campaign of data/story/use cases collection, picking up those in some ways from coda Makers (privacy issue? maybe this forum?) and try to analyze and graphs those (of course on coda)

then, when we will be data-driven we could understand that coda is a business tool is more than just a business manager (etc) but have many use case also into x fields (private people’s life, family shop lists, school class managing, event app creator, etc)

Let me know if something have picked your curiosity, and what do you think about this :slight_smile:

Hi @Mario,
Not only “something”, but I completely like your approach!
I wish I could be more present those days, but I’m currently facing business and personal issues at once. Definitely not a great moment. :pensive:

However, I promise I’ll be back; in the meantime I’ll try to think about something.
Thanks for your patience and your enthusiasm!

Talk soon