Restore Old Version instead of copy paste!

Surprised I couldn’t find this, maybe it does exist though.

Currently it appears you can only make a ‘copy’ of an old version from the version history.
This means you have to share this new copy with everyone and switch to it, or copy paste the data from it. However when I tried copy pasting, it didn’t really work that well / this is definitely confusing.

You should just be able to restore old version like most programs…

Worried about this now.

17 Likes

+1

Also showing a simple commit message next to the timestamp to identify what was changed would help a lot. When something breaks I find myself clicking through many versions until I find the correct one to restore.

3 Likes

+1 this.

I have lost a few playground docs already because they crashed and could not open again. Restoring an older version is only possible as a new doc.

And what if it’s not a playground doc, but a serious one? Imagine losing a production doc, with Zapier integrated etc, shared with the clients of the business that’s run in that doc? Setting everything up again in a doc copy and sharing it with all parties involved would be a nightmare.

CC @Krunal_Sheth

6 Likes

Well said. This is exactly the issue if you were wanting to use coda for something more formal. Basic function needed for any enterprise software.

2 Likes

+1

Almost had a very serious problem because of this.

Hi @Carlos_Roriz_Amplus_Construtora,

Welcome to the community!

This is something that we see a need for, but it’s not trivial to implement it. We are looking into this, but there’s not an easy answer. We’ll keep researching though.

2 Likes

@BenLee

As a programmer I understand that this isn’t trivial, but a Task table in my doc just become corrupt. I have custom views throughout the doc referencing it. I cannot seem to copy+paste the table in a way that restores the associated views. I assume there is an ID mismatch

So, I need to ask the team using the doc to update all their links to a restored copy - it makes me somewhat embarrassed as I am trying to sell the platform to the team.

Please prioritize restoring versions as highly as you can.

thanks!

5 Likes

Just ran into this problem. Adding my plus 1 and hoping it maybe can be implemented with the new core system that’s being developed

1 Like

Just adding my voice here. This is a really important feature.

2 Likes

adding to this.

I spent 2 days creating a doc. When it crashed it managed to get a few keystrokes that deleted a page before i could undo. I ended up copying to a new version but then I had to go and correct a few dozen automation links that were linked to the old doc. I know its not trivial, but what about a workflow like this:

Copy entire doc/history to a new doc… completely delete old doc… change URL of new doc back to the original doc. Im not the programmer here tho.

Well this finally bit me in an annoying way. Please add a Restore button to the version history and not just the copy ability.

1 Like

Hi @BenLee
Any news here?
I have just broken my all-in-one enterprise doc for me and all my colleagues. Just copying it won’t help