Second Brain, BASB, and Roam

@Bill_French, Good Morning! Always enjoy reading your insights. In fact, I’ve happened across quite a bit of your material over at the AirTable community, which I’ve been perusing for further ideas on how to build in Coda and of course solve my number #1 item - building references. And interesting to hear you’re a user of Superhuman, too, further evidencing you are on top of cutting edge productivity stuff!

I have actually been using Roam quite a bit, mostly to try to manipulate their linked references around and see what I could build. In fact one of those docs was an example Coda Schema!

One thing I was really hoping to test in Roam, and this is something I have also tried to solve in Coda, is building of Reference Docs from notes snippets strewn across the app. In particular, in my situation I have a team of 4 Product Managers, let’s call them. Often we’ll meet, and during the meeting discuss the beginnings of what is a Team Guideline-like doc. For example, how do we want to set up our staging when we migrate some of our websites onto a new platform? So I’ll write a few paragraphs of what the team discusses. But this should later get into a final copy. So how can I take these initial meeting notes, and add them to the final doc, without laborious copying and pasting and otherwise killing the data record that’s the origin of the doc. And I’d also like to reference the start of the whole concept of the doc from the meeting record, the “source,” which is later very useful to look back on.

There is a great discussion by our colleague @GJ_Roelofs here:

that was too advanced for me, but brought up a lot of these points. I think Roam has gotten some of this potential, and that could come to Coda with some of those reciprocal references we’ve been talking about!

As for the reliability stuff, I concur 100%. Thankfully we have some performance gurus in here keeping tabs on the Coda Product Team as they work forward!

And while I have you, I’d be interested in your feedback, and that of your fellow Power Makers, about a few posts I just put in. If you have a moment that is!

Sorry if that is overly self-promoting. Thanks for the post, and take care!