Tool for exporting Coda tables to Excel/CSV

Hey everyone! My company, Little Robot, has made a tool that allows Coda users to create a button that exports their tables to Excel or CSV. I’ve seen several posts asking about this so hope this helps! The setup is done through codaexport.com. Please let me know what you think!

10 Likes

Wow, great work! I wonder if this could be bundled into a Pack as well? If you aren’t enrolled, you can sign up for the Pack Studio beta here: Join the Pack Studio Beta

Thanks Eric! I am actually enrolled in the Pack Studio Beta and planning to try building it into a pack in the next couple of weeks!

Really cool, I’d love to be able to create a template sheet that the table gets inserted into. I use Coda to calculate a portion of my payroll. The resulting table needs to be in a fairly odd and specific format for ADP to allow import. I know that is an oddly specific ask but thought I would throw it out there. Great stuff!

Thanks @Vince_Balsamo! That’s interesting… what sort of formatting are you talking about? There is a way to read excel files with the library I’m using, but the tool would need to have a way of identifying where to put the Coda data into the template (ex: matching Coda column headers with template column headers)

My example might be a bit of an outlier in that my table data needs to be inserted between row 3-4 vs just finding the appropriate columns within a wider table.

Here is a generic screenshot of what the sheet looks like:

Ah I see. So all the rows from the table you export from Coda would be inserted between rows 3 and 4 in this template? That would definitely be possible to set up, but might have to wait to see if others are asking for things like this before spending the time to implement. Also, as I mentioned to @Eric_Koleda above, I’m planning on trying to turn this into a Coda Pack soon, so if that ends up replacing this tool I’ll see about adding additional features there!

One idea I had in the meantime is to add the extra rows and columns into your Coda table so you can export it all at once. Have you tried that?

Hey all! As an update to the previous comments, I’ve turned the export tool mentioned above into a Coda Pack that you can add to your doc to export tables to CSV or a few different Excel formats

4 Likes

Hi @Courtney_Milligan1 ! Is there a limit on the size of the table you can export? I can export small tables just fine, but the button fails with bigger docs (>3000 rows)

Hi @Courtney_Milligan1 thanks a lot for this tool, this is amazing! Unfortunately I cannot get the pack working as I am not sure what to enter as “account” parameter - everything I tried throws an error. Could you help me what to enter here?

Hi @Maryia_Yermakovich! I haven’t actually tried exporting tables of >3000 rows. What does the error message say when you try it?

1 Like

Hi @Tobias_Troendle! The “account” parameter is a connection that you need to set up for the pack. In the right-hand panel of your doc, if you navigate to the Export Tables pack settings, you can add a shared account. Then you can select that connection in the “account” parameter. Let me know if you can’t get it to work.

2 Likes

Ahh! If you know it it’s really simple! Thank you very much, this pack is definitely one of my favourites so far :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a prompt for you to connect your account when you click on the “Account” placeholder. After that you you’ll see something like this:

1 Like

Thanks Maryia! My issue was that I had no account created inside of the pack settings and couldn’t find a clue to go there → maybe a hint on this could help inside the description unless this is a total rookie mistake :wink:

This is a built-in Coda setup process for any packs that access Coda’s API (not specific to my pack), so I can’t really add a hint. However, when you first add a pack like this to your doc, it should prompt you to connect an account (there is a button called “Sign in with my Coda account”). Try that next time!

1 Like

Will do, thanks for that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! I tried to use pack. But receive the following:

What’s wrong with my formula?
[Export Tables]::Export([Mikhail Tsybizov], “Tasks”,“xlsx”,docId:MonthName([date 1]))

Hi @Mikhail_Tsybizov! It looks like the issue is that your docId isn’t correct. The doc ID is the part just after _d up to the next slash. That being said, docId is an optional parameter that is actually only required if you want to use a different doc than the one your button is in, so I’d just remove it.

I tried w/o it, but the same result :frowning: