Using forms to add multiple rows to a table from a single form response

I am trying to create a form that creates multiple table records from a single form entry.

Essentially I have a lookup/reference table
CATEGORY A
CATEGORY B
CATEGORY C

and then I want a form that will collect a response for each lookup item
NAME: Jon
CATEGORY A | SCORE
CATEGORY B | SCORE
CATEGORY C | SCORE

Which I want to write to a table that creates a row for each entry
Jon | CATEGORY A | SCORE
Jon | CATEGORY B | SCORE
Jon | CATEGORY C | SCORE

I’ve tried multiple forms per page, but that doesn’t quite seem to work as the response to 1 form seems to overwrite the other form instead of adding another record.
Jon | CATEGORY A | SCORE
Jon | CATEGORY B | SCORE
Jon | CATEGORY C | SCORE
Someone Else | CATEGORY A | SCORE
Someone Else | CATEGORY B | SCORE
Someone Else | CATEGORY C | SCORE
Some Other Someone Else | CATEGORY A | SCORE
Some Other Someone Else | CATEGORY B | SCORE
Some Other Someone Else | CATEGORY C | SCORE

My goal is to get a name (the person submitting the form) and collect scores on 5-10 items from that person, then be able to analyze scores from other people on the same categories.

The final result would be a scorecard for that person with their ranking compared with the average ranking for other respondents.

CATEGORY A | Jon’s Score | Average Score
CATEGORY B | Jon’s Score | Average Score
CATEGORY C | Jon’s Score | Average Score

I think this would be reasonable easy tables, but can I do something like this with forms to allow for a broader pool of respondents?

2 Likes

hi @JonO , welcome

If you create a doc and share it here so we can look in to it with sample data in it, we can have a look.

Each submission is a new row in the table and each row has multiple columns (one per response). As such you create a table filled with results and that is the starting point for any review. Maybe you want to transpose the data.

Cheers, Christiaan

3 Likes

Hi, I have a very similar question as JonO above. Does anyone know the answer? Essentially I want to create a form that allows a user to create multiple table records from a single form entry.

Very similar to JonO, I have a lookup/reference table that will allow the user to make a selection, and for that selection I want the user to input a score. But I want the user to be able to see each of their selections/scores in the form together prior to submitting, rather than having to submit the form multiple times, once for each selection/score.

Even further, I want to perform a validation test on the various selections/scores so that they have to satisfy certain rules to be accepted (for example, no duplicates within the form’s selections and scores).

Does anyone know if this is possible in Coda? Or are there third party service integrations that will allow this?

Hi @James_Drew,

If you are still looking for a solution please check out the doc below.

If you need further support I will need more specifics and ideally a dummy document to work on.

All the best

Dale

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Would this work for a non signed in viewer?

Hi @HammmerOz,

Not directly. Forms cannot use table lookups or buttons that I know of.

Your best bet would be to have automations on form submit. A column could be added that is a button and on each new form submission have it press the button. This button could run the validation check and add to the results table. In the event of a duplication you would email back the user to let them know, as long as the form holds a way to identify the user submitting and the email to notify.

As I was about to submit I did have another thought. I previously helped with another forum post where they wanted to allow Form users to add new options to a drop down list that would become available to all other form users. Essentially it would build over time. While you cannot use filtering on this it could perhaps be modified so that the list contains existing results and the user submitting has to check to see if their new submission isn’t already listed. You can find it here.

If you want help with setting up something like this I would recommend creating a new post and we can go from there.

I hope that this info is useful.

All the best

Dale

1 Like

Thanks Dale. Useful thoughts!