What small improvements to Coda would be the most impactful for you?

From most to least impactful to me:

• “Disable-if” available for all columns (if formula evaluates to true, the cell becomes uneditable)
  • Locking switch to prevent row deletion except via button action
  • Proper full-width
  • Locking switch to prevent unhiding pages
  • “Hide-if” at page level that takes a formula and hides the page if the formula evaluates to true.
13 Likes
  1. Conditional formatting for in-canvas formula results.
  2. Fix the formula editing experience (the jumping around, auto inserting variables when just trying to move a cursor is pretty confusing and constantly leads to re-typing or errors).
  3. Remember if the formula was last open in full-view vs small-view (for larger formulas, one currently needs to tap through with multiple clicks.
6 Likes

Actually this also happens in my company tables, we have an empty table with all column formats set, which we use to past some excel tables we get from external sources and import them in Coda. like 2 out 5 times Coda just decides to randomly change column type after pasting the excel table. Its a bit annoying …

• Option to disable deleting of rows to prevent data loss (this more than anything!)
  • Faster scrolling of version history (by only loading dates/high level metadata first not all entries within dates) as the current UI is not usable to look many days or months in the past for documents with large numbers of daily changes
  • workspace options to set defaults for document sharing, document copying so that documents don’t get inappropriately shared or copied
  • workspace options to set defaults for things like “allow quick adding of new items” on lookups, “show add row button” for tables to reduce tedious setup when the maker wants documents to be more restrictive and controlled
3 Likes
  • Independent headings, text, and line dividers for row detail modals and forms to break up and/or group sections of columns together
  • More general style control to override defaults (default header spacing can be strange; e.g. a heading below buttons leaves too little space between them, but a line break adds too much)
  • Full width form elements in the canvas, so four buttons or filtering inputs side by side in columns looks less chaotic
  • Some kind of scorecard component (small header + big bold number). A common pattern that is difficult to accomplish with the default CSS
1 Like
  • Ability to hide the search box for some users (it can generate results that are confusing for laypeople; sometimes its better to build our own search for what we know the doc user needs)
  • ability hide the ‘show hidden columns’ view
  • ability to prevent opening rows by clicking on tab to left of row

these all would mitigate the chance of a basic user stumbling into, or breaking something inadvertently

• ability to add comments to formulas and automations
3 Likes

5 mins slots / increments in the Calendar View would be big.

1 Like

2 way object linking

The ability to highlight some cells

Locking pages in bulk

Paying for more unrestricted doc size limit for the API

@Ed_Liveikis @Paul_Danyliuk @Christiaan_Huizer @Marko_Petrovic

The product team just launched a new update to locking: a toggle to prevent row deletion!

Kudos to @Teresa_de_Figueiredo, @Jason_Tamulonis, and the team :clap:

13 Likes

Delete locking is great, thank you!

My suggestions for small improvements:

• Ability to turn off width restrictions
  • Table search to somehow be sticky when scrolling large tables. Ok if optional. Or “go to top” capability would solve root issue, which is incurring lazy loading costs when reviewing and filtering/re-filtering large amounts of data. Or option to turn off lazy load? I’ll stop :slight_smile:
  • Ability to drag numbers and dates across cells to increment them like you can do in excel / google sheets
  • Ability to turn calculation debugger on even if calcs take less than 5 seconds
  • Ability to make comments in functions

Really appreciate the direct user engagement!

1 Like

Totally agree with Christiaan on this!

Sometimes we go deep into structuring the UI to guide users through a specific path and having that link to the main database in the modal view can give the user access to “unsanctioned” areas of the doc that will get them lost in their path.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks @Brian_Klein and team!

Just a quick question. Is there a way to enable this feature in existing docs? I’ve checked and it’s working on new docs but doesn’t appear in existing ones.

Thanks!

3 Likes

wow

i am impressed! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

this will be a HUGE advantage for my client projects.

you guys did this so rapidly!

thanks, and jolly well done indeed!

max

1 Like

This is a fun hypothetical question @Brian_Klein

In order of preference:

1. toggle to turn off auto-complete in the duration column :point_left:
  2. Coda’s Google Contacts pack-> 4 requests
  3. user global setting || ability to Select Default Workspace
  4. user global setting || invert the Coda page title in your browser tab
  5. upload a copy of [now missing] previous Coda’s crowdcast webinars (example URL) into a YouTube channel
  6. after each Coda webinar is completed, can you please upload the audio file for each of these into a Coda podcast channel?
  7. add document size in the :gear: → Statistics menu
  8. create keyboard shortcut to select multiple pages/ subpages at once for deleting
  9. bar chart change minute duration label
  10. control over where the gradient shifts
2 Likes

Set default date format.

1 Like

Oh my god! This is great thank you! Will start using right away.

1 Like

Choose what Icon to display in Links
Very simple UI like when choosing icons for the pages. It would display nicely things like social media URLs etc.

5 Likes

This is a fantastic idea Felipe! Selfishly it’d help me as well, the social media manager :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, had anyone already mentioned:

• Being able to set “long names” (alternative labels) on table columns in Table mode, not just in Detail layouts (props to @Lars_Hofstetter for bringing this up in a slack)

• Comments in formulas — e.g. /* like this */

P.S. Dense table view!! (like sheets)

P.P.S. A way to set the default workspace for things like coda.new

7 Likes

Oh My, long Names in table mode - set separately for each View - would be a Godsend!

1 Like